What would you do - put money in partners bank account?

A year ago I gave my partner some money to put in his bank account (not his main current account) the idea was to use the money to buy stuff for us, concert tickets, days out etc. and both be able to use the debit card.

Shortly after I did this he claims to have lost his card and a few months later we moved house, I asked him to get replacement card before the house move. He now claims he has to go into his old branch which is not near here to prove who he is to do the change of address/new card. I accept this but have asked since last August for him to either do this and order a new card so we can buy things as planned, or just give me the money back. Everytime I mention it he says he will do it and 'don't i trust him' so I don't mention it to avoid an argument , I do trust him but 7 months is too long and I am starting to wonder if there is another reason or the money has gone and would just prefer honesty.

What would you do in this situation.

Whether he's spent the money or not, it's YOUR money you asked him to save and he should either give it back to you or sort it out so you have access to it.

Just tell him you need it for something.

Tell him you need the money back for something, say you don't care where it comes from, you just need it. Either he goes and sorts the money in that account out for you, or he gives it out of his own pocket (which is rightly yours anyway). Sounds a bit dodgy to me though.

The moral of this story is - never put your money in someone else's bank account unless you are willing to lose it - regardless of whether you actually will or not.

I totally agree with this statement

Oh and heres me about to transfer a loan into my OHs savings account... This thread has made me think twice now :suspect:

It sounds VERY dodgy, just ask him outright. Say you trust him but youre intriged as to why, I know id be very worried!

The moral of this story is - never put your money in someone else's bank account unless you are willing to lose it - regardless of whether you actually will or not.

Yes I should have made sure it was joint and in both names before, instead of trusting someone to do it 'later' and I have learnt, the money isn't my main issue now, I just want the truth out of him. If he used the money to pay something off I would just like to know.

Tell him you need the money back for something, say you don't care where it comes from, you just need it. Either he goes and sorts the money in that account out for you, or he gives it out of his own pocket (which is rightly yours anyway). Sounds a bit dodgy to me though.

I asked back in January and said I really need it for a bill end of feb, never got it though.

A year ago I gave my partner some money to put in his bank account (not his main current account) the idea was to use the money to buy stuff for us, concert tickets, days out etc. and both be able to use the debit card.

Shortly after I did this he claims to have lost his card and a few months later we moved house, I asked him to get replacement card before the house move. He now claims he has to go into his old branch which is not near here to prove who he is to do the change of address/new card. I accept this but have asked since last August for him to either do this and order a new card so we can buy things as planned, or just give me the money back. Everytime I mention it he says he will do it and 'don't i trust him' so I don't mention it to avoid an argument , I do trust him but 7 months is too long and I am starting to wonder if there is another reason or the money has gone and would just prefer honesty.

What would you do in this situation.

He must be hiding something. My and my OH have ''OUR' money in a joint account, he hardly uses it but can still view it online. We would also have no problem looking at each other bank statements, they go in the same drawer - we have never needed to look at them but it would never be an issue if we did.

Hope you get it sorted but tbh it sounds like he has spent it!

Archived