What relationship are my kids to my step-father?

Hi, I wonder if anyone out there could help with my question.

My mother remarried 30 years ago, before I was married myself, and her second husband would be my step-father. When I married and had children, what would be the relationship of my children and my step-father. Is he their Grandfather or step-grandfather, or something else. I need this for forms relating to his pension after he died recently.

Thanks for any help.

did he adopt you? if so he's your dad, and the kids are his grandkids.

If he didn't adopt you, he's your step-dad, and he's your kid's' step-grandfather.

His relationship to you does not alter just because you grew up, and married your hubby.

Your uncle is still your uncle, even though you are married to your hubby:- ditto your aunts, brothers, sisters...

Thanks for your answers, its just I have never heard of the phrase step-granfather, and my kids also regard him as their grandad.

Not many would bother to make the distinction. In law, a step-relation of any kind is not a genuine relationship, and in practice, step-family are either family (in which case no distinction is worth making), or people you don't meet (in which case the question does not arise.)

Archived