Losing a job & Private tenancies?

Hi

My cousin -living in Sheffield- has been renting a bedsit in a Private tenancy, for about 8mths now and has been working full time. The landlord said at sign-up that he doesn't accept DSS.

However, he recently lost his job and wants to know where he stands regarding his tenant rights. There has been for some time other tenants in the house that are unemployed (whether they also were working and then became unemployed, I don't know, though this seems likely).

He recently had his first interview for JSA and applied for Housing and Council Tax Benefits then, and his next rent payment is due in about 10 days or so. He is going to make an appointment at the CAB, but also asked me.

What should I advise him?

As far as I know the council pay housing benefit directly to the tenant, not to the landlord as used to be the case, so as long as the rent is paid on time the landlord wouldn't be able to evict and make him 'homeless' - but best get advice nevertheless.

Archived