Anyone Traveling to Canada?

Really interesting site. :thumbsup:

I once read somewhere that Vancouver had been voted amongst the most convivial places in the world for quality of life, would you agree with that ?

Just asking, because I'm knobbed off with this country at the moment.

I spent a few days in vancouver, lovely place especially granville island. But i'm not really a big city person, so personally i would never settle somewhere like that, but i can see why people love it. One thing that did strike me though, lots and lots of homeless people in the city centre.

I spent a few days in vancouver, lovely place especially granville island. But i'm not really a big city person, so personally i would never settle somewhere like that, but i can see why people love it. One thing that did strike me though, lots and lots of homeless people in the city centre.

Begging was a problem everywhere and the tipping culture I would imagine all adds up for the locals.

Really interesting site. :thumbsup:

I once read somewhere that Vancouver had been voted amongst the most convivial places in the world for quality of life, would you agree with that ?

Just asking, because I'm knobbed off with this country at the moment.

Yup, its listed in the top 5 cities in the world to live based on all sorts of stats - no where is perfect so there's always going to be some downsides to everywhere. I find canada in general so much more cleaner than the UK though, people are generally more polite and you get treated politely and fairly when you go into shops - if you've bought something broken and take it back, they dont respond with attitude for example! .. oh yeah and if you dont like winter, Vancouver is definately the best place to go in Canada :)

Begging was a problem everywhere and the tipping culture I would imagine all adds up for the locals.

hehehe i'm a true northerner .. tips? you get paid dont you?! hehe and dont get me started on service charges! -- though it's the done thing in Canada, i'm not an expert on employment laws in canada so its possible tips are counted into their wage.. 'coarse i could be completely wrong - - someone please correct me if im wrong :)

hehehe i'm a true northerner .. tips? you get paid dont you?! hehe and dont get me started on service charges! -- though it's the done thing in Canada, i'm not an expert on employment laws in canada so its possible tips are counted into their wage.. 'coarse i could be completely wrong - - someone please correct me if im wrong :)

When you get your bill there are two taxes, a national one and a local one and then they expect a 10 to 15% tip, don’t tip and they will let you know about it. :hihi:

I'm not a big city type person really neither - i grew up out in Anston Village! pleanty of small towns and villages in Canada - not too far from main towns and cities - or you could get yourself a farmhouse type place.. miles between you and your neighbour! brings a whole new meaning to "detatched" housing!

When you get your bill there are two taxes, a national one and a local one and then they expect a 10 to 15% tip, don’t tip and they will let you know about it. :hihi:

hehe actually i never didnt give a tip - so i wouldnt know :P generally i think they hope for a 10% tip but if you give less they are still just as greatful, just give them a few dollars :) - still you only get that if you go to a resteraunt, and to be fair the level of service is almost three times better than you get in the majority of UK resteraunts :) ..... ohhh and free refills on soft drinks!

- still you only get that if you go to a resteraunt, and to be fair the level of service is almost three times better than you get in the majority of UK resteraunts :) ..... ohhh and free refills on soft drinks!

Can’t fault the service they could certainly teach our lot a thing or two and they were really genuine, none of the American “have a nice day now”.

Can’t fault the service they could certainly teach our lot a thing or two and they were really genuine, none of the American “have a nice day now”.

hehe yeah! I've always been impressed at how quick they do roadworks. That section on the M1 of 50mph past junction 30? its been there for HOW LONG? i once was parked in mcdonalds car park in canada, and i watched a convoy of tarmaccing vehicles laying a full lane of tarmac - moving down the road at a steady pace. How long does it take to resurface any patch of the road in the uk?? They resurfaced the whole road in 2 days..

i know the m1 is some widening .. or barrier work or something? but in 2 weeks i also saw them blasting through a hill and prepping to tarmac the road they were putting through...

hehehehe even the roadworks are better!

OH one final thing, some roadworks arent done over the weekend, so on friday they take all the cones and machinary off the road - tarmac it up temporarilly - so the road can operate as normal, then just move back on on the monday.. and work is done over night!

Archived