Who remembers R.O.T.T. on radio sheffield?

• 4 years later...

I think that's me you are referring to playing the punk stuff and reviewing the Leeds punk festival that woiuld have bee the 1984 festival and not the Xmas on Earth.

Mick B must have been after my time there.

Sad to say I am looking at this thread because Jane Kitson has died.

---------- Post added 21-01-2014 at 23:28 ----------

I'm Bill.

Me and my mate Gal used to go to Sheffield pretty regularly on a Thursday to review punk singles on ROTT. This must have been 1982/3. We did an interview with the Toy Dolls and one with a band from Leeds called the Expelled. I remember a guy called Roland being there too, and Steve (return of the naive) from Chesterfield. I think Ian Mcmillan was there once. Sarah, Suzanne and Chris(?) were the studio people at the time and it was always a good laugh. Ooh, so many memories.

Sadly Gal died around 12 years ago (bless him).

Thanks for setting up this page. I had been looking for ROTT for a while:)

Hi Bill, I think I remeber you did you have ginger hair?

What happened to Gal?

Rest in peace Jane.

Many of these band players many who are now world famous musicians were at her cremation.

There was not enough room in the chapel and few people had to stand outside with the doors open during the service.

Edited by dutch

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Ahhh Roland, you are right I think - cant remember the year but it would have been 1984-85 something like that. I actually started there cause I lived in a shared house and kept getting letters through the door for Winston the Gobbler or Mr W N Gobbolar or variations of that and mentioned it to Mick Smith otherwise known as MixMiff who went down on Thursdays to the studio behind the moor and told me if I went we could get a free sandwich - and he heard the jingle - "Ayup thee whats tha game, Winston the Gobbler is my name, if tha wants 10 seconds of fame give us ring on Radio Sheffield....." - ended up doing the Punk Spot or Punk Zit and loads of sketches. Me, Mixmiff and Nial (may have been somebody else) did one about Bagpus finding a pot of glue and the mice were - 'we will use it we'll abuse it, we will give it a sniff sniff sniff...' The Radio powers that be liked it so much they sent us to the Langham in London - on the night of ROTT broadcast we would all congregate at Radio Sheffield on Westbourne road and we got a free taxi home afterwards. Very sad about Jane

• 2 years later...
On 11/06/2008 at 16:49, Adrian Baile said:

I think Ian Mcmillan was there once. Sarah, Suzanne and Chris(?) were the studio people at the time and it was always a good laugh. Ooh, so many memories.

HI, I am "Chris," Chris Andrews, the guy who created the program, produced it and trained up Suzanne Phillips to produce and the lovely late Jane Kitson to present.

Fond memories of rolling the first joint live on air at BBC Radio Sheffield ! Yes we had a RiOTT of fun every week for many years in the 80's I remember Roland and many others from that time and hope most of you are still surviving in these difficult Covid times. (Radio Over The Top)

At 68, I run a  background music company putting background music into luxury hotels  and am based in Thailand ! I remember well those heady days in Sheffield when we set up The Leadmill, Yorkshire Artspace, Red Tape Studios and  a load of other fun projects like the alternative three legged Sheffield Marathon round all the Tetley pubs !

Memories that will last all my days!

• 7 months later...