Why dont people under stand what brand new means

I don't know if there's a legal definition of "brand new." I would not call a month-old unused object 'brand new', but I'd happily take it as 'as new, unused.'

People wrongly (imo) labelling it as brand new, wouldn't discourage me from buying. I don't think it particularly matters whether I'm right or you are; only if they're going ridiculously overboard and claiming it's "brand new, only bought last September" would I raise a complaint.

You go to a car showroom and buy a brand new car despite the factory manufacturing it 6 months ago and folks driving it into the showroom.

You go to a car showroom and buy a brand new car despite the factory manufacturing it 6 months ago and folks driving it into the showroom.

Pedantically, I actually don't; motability cars are made to order and don't exist until a week before I pick it up from the showroom. However your general point is valid.

An object can remain sitting in the saleroom for considerable lengths of time and still be considered brand-new, but if it has had a previous owner (besides the company selling it!), most people would argue it is no longer brand-new.

I'm happy to be persuaded that it's still a reasonable description of an object bought a week, or a fortnight, or a month ago. I remain steadfast in my opinion that it doesn't really matter! An item bought only last week and not used is as good as a brand-new one, whether we call it brand-new or not. (And I, personally, don't.)

if the seller has use it then it is not brand new, Quote "Picture is lovely and Tv is in perfect condition".

New means never been use by another consumer

your changing the goal posts here....never mentioned that bit about picture being lovely, its deffo a used item if its been watched

An object can remain sitting in the saleroom for considerable lengths of time and still be considered brand-new, but if it has had a previous owner (besides the company selling it!), most people would argue it is no longer brand-new.

I'm happy to be persuaded that it's still a reasonable description of an object bought a week, or a fortnight, or a month ago. I remain steadfast in my opinion that it doesn't really matter! An item bought only last week and not used is as good as a brand-new one, whether we call it brand-new or not. (And I, personally, don't.)

I think brand new means just that. If you buy a toaster for someone's wedding present 6 months before the wedding, then at the wedding they find they have 12 toasters. In those circumstances it is fine for 11 of the toasters to be sold as brand new. However if the box is opened and it has cooked a crumpet, it would be nearly new and not brand new.

So what if a tv that has been factory tested (i.e. used) is bought by, say, Comet. Is it brand new then?

we are not on about comet buying a tv here we are on about selling on here. I think if a non retailer buys it then sells it on after watching it its classed as used. Comet would be a retailer just like a car dealer is and so the car dealers name dosn't go on the log book does it?

we are not on about comet buying a tv here we are on about selling on here. I think if a non retailer buys it then sells it on after watching it its classed as used. Comet would be a retailer just like a car dealer is and so the car dealers name dosn't go on the log book does it?

I thought we were discussing the general principle.

What if the retailer is also a person - i.e. it is bought by a sole trader with a shop?

Archived