Why dont people under stand what brand new means

we are not on about comet buying a tv here we are on about selling on here. I think if a non retailer buys it then sells it on after watching it its classed as used. Comet would be a retailer just like a car dealer is and so the car dealers name dosn't go on the log book does it?

So by your definition it isn't possible to give anyone anything brand new as a present.

in the classifled session we get lots of people saying its brand new only use for a week, here an example

title-Brand New 32" LCD HDTV 5 years gaurentee (£235)

wording-Here we have a brand new bought only 1 month ago,

It's because "Brand New" isn't a term that is universally defined in the same way.

"Brand New" could be an unused item, but it also describe a newly acquired item from new (as opposed to second hand).

If you are hoping to find products that have been unused then the term would be "Factory sealed".

In general conversation you might invite a friend over to watch a movie and tell them that your tv is "brand new"........now that doesn't mean necessarily that the tv that your friend will be invited to view will be taken out of the factory sealed box just prior to you watching the movie.

if the seller has use it then it is not brand new, Quote "Picture is lovely and Tv is in perfect condition".

New means never been use by another consumer

Not necessarily,

If you had your tv for 5 years, but it has never been used by another consumer then by your definition it would still be new.

Again "brand new" is quite a loose term so you shouldn't use it, or expect to use it to exactly described an item.

If you are looking for new unused items then "Factory sealed" is the more specific term you need to look for, not "brand new"

I thought we were discussing the general principle.

What if the retailer is also a person - i.e. it is bought by a sole trader with a shop?

I would think a trader who bought for stock wouldnt count as an end user, and if its been used then maybe would be classed as ex demo?:huh:

I want to join in so -

If I buy a present for someone and want to make sure it works before I give it to them - then the item is no longer something new for them. They would then have to say it was second hand when they got it and not new?

Just asking cos it's fun seeing definitions attempted like this.

So in other words if no one has used an item it is brand new. What's all the fuss about then?

Among other things -

What about the factory testers having "used" it to prove it works?

What about someone buying a wedding gift and testing it before handing it over?

So in other words if no one has used an item it is brand new. What's all the fuss about then?

but it has been use look at the full advert it shows the tv on

Asking price: £235

Condition of item: Excellent

Further details

Relisting with dropped price.

Here we have a brand new bought only 1 month ago, 32 " LCD HDTV. Comes with box and 5 years guarentee with Richer Sounds that runs out on the 11/4/2015. This means that if ever the tv breaks down or anything goes wrong then richer sounds will pick it up from your house and fix it.

TV has 2 HDMI ports for blu ray players etc. Built in freeview. Has swivel stand

Picture is lovely and Tv is in perfect condition.

Wanting £235 please which is a bargain considering it comes with the gaurentee which you wont find with any other TV here.

Thanks and feel free to PM me am by the computer practically all day

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4711/selltv017.jpg

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1132/selltv018.jpg

Archived