Foxconn Suicides

• 2 months later...

http://gizmodo.com/5606076/another-foxconn-worker-dies-despite-new-safety-nets-in-place

I can't believe they put nets up to try catch people who are committing suicide. Would it not be better to prevent access to places where they can jump or more importantly stop the workers wanting to commit suicide in the first place. What they have done seems to have just changed an instant death into a longer and more painful death from serious injuries.

Also I still think the numbers who have died this way are only about average based on the number of people who work at Foxconn, and while every death is sad, every death doesn't make the news.

I'd read a few months ago Foxconn were going to start paying their workers a better wage, and remove the death-in-service payout in the event of suicide. There's a couple of incentives for the staff :)

A shame it took the recent suicides to bring the matter to public attention... a not very comfortable reminder of the human cost of these wonderful gadgets that many of us take for granted.

x

Speaking of which, I'm proud not to own a iphone. I'm even prouder not to want one.

x x

Archived