Still don’t want that “bit of paper”

I haven’t got a point to prove I just thought I would burst a few bubbles.

Surely the real problem is that they bought the house in joint names, without having a proper, legal agreement drawn up which set out what would happen if they split up.

Which is a problem that could arise when any 2 people buy a house together, whether they're in a relationship or not.

Which is a problem that could arise when any 2 people buy a house together, whether they're in a relationship or not.

True but the irony of the situation is that a divorce would have split the house when it was worth £70,000.

If one of the parties contests it then it isn't worth the paper it is written on as you cannot override the law-of-the-land.

The law-of-the-land regarding Marriage can’t be challenged but apparently individuals can enter into any agreement they like.

True but the irony of the situation is that a divorce would have split the house when it was worth £70,000.
Not necessarily. Usually, when there are children, the house is considered the children's home and the parent who has custody of the children can continue to live there with the children until the youngest child is 18 and then the house can be sold and the profit split between the parents.

Usually, of course, the non-resident parent would continue to pay their share of the mortgage payments in order for there to be a 50-50 split, otherwise it would be pro-rata.

Personally, if I'd left my children to be brought up by the other parent, I'd think that person deserved the house as recompense for all the extra responsibility. He's so cheap!

So would a properly drawn up agreement, so don't see that married/not married has that much to do with the situation.

Archived