Government won’t provide minister to Question time

You're wrong. Get iPlayer going and watch again. Listen very carefully (this time) to what Dimbleby says at the beginning.

I know perfectly well what Dimbleby says, and he's wrong. The Government has not attempted to bar Campbell from appearing on the show; they merely decline to send a front-bench minister to appear against an unelected nobody.

Guest sibon
I know perfectly well what Dimbleby says, and he's wrong. The Government has not attempted to bar Campbell from appearing on the show; they merely decline to send a front-bench minister to appear against an unelected nobody.

But they didn't. They asked for him to be removed from the panel. Can you not see the difference?

I also find it strange how only a few weeks into a new government and the BBC seems to have developed teeth again, while during New Labour's reign they were meek and retiring. Whipped, me thinks...

Now Ali Campbell is in the process of launching a glittering career as a gob on a stick, he's on side with the broadcasters; so the beeb are only to happy to have him filling up the airwaves. He's articulate, relaxed, insightful and highly telegenic, why wouldn't they?

The coalition would have known what sort of reaction they'd get for declining to send a minister in to appear on the programme. But I think they could have justifiably said they were declining to send a minister on the grounds they have been barred from appearing in pantomime.

But they didn't. They asked for him to be removed from the panel.

Not true. They said that a minister would not appear against him. Nowhere have they objected to his appearance on a Question Time panel; the only thing they've done is to specify that a Government frontbencher will appear against a Labour frontbencher but not otherwise.

Guest sibon
Not true. They said that a minister would not appear against him. Nowhere have they objected to his appearance on a Question Time panel; the only thing they've done is to specify that a Government frontbencher will appear against a Labour frontbencher but not otherwise.

Number 10 asked him to be replaced by a shadow minister but the BBC refused on a point of “fundamental principle”.

It appears that the voice of the Tory old guard doesn't share your view.

Archived