My boy wants to join the army.any advice please.

However much the recruiting adverts make it look just like a video game where you have unlimited lives, the army is all about killing people. Killing people because they belong to a different country or have a different coluor skin to you. And every time a british soldier kills someone that means some child loses a father, a wife loses a husband and a mother loses a son. Is that anything to be proud of?

It's about being told what to do and just mindlessly following orders. There's nothing glamourous about being sent to interfere in another country's internal conflicts and getting blown up in a conflict that is none of more about capitalism and oil than freedom.

If I had a son who wanted to join the army I would urge him not to. If he wants to make the world a better place I would tell him to find a career that involved saving people's lives rather than taking them. And if he then ignoring my advice and joined the army anyway I would disown him.

hi there my boy whos 16 leaves school next month..he is very interested in joining the army i have sent off for a free dvd from their website. .does anyone out there think its a good idea for him to join and can anybody give me some advice as a parent.he does seem pretty keen on the idea.

If he is going to do anything vis-a-vis joining, and he is determined, the Royal Marines is a better option.

I am biased though. :)

My dad was in RAF and 3 of my cousins are in the Army. Both cousins have done extensive stints in Afghanistan, my Dad was in Air Traffic Control. Its all about direction and where you want to be, not always about conflict.

They do offer excellent training oppertunities, my Dad got his driving lessons paid for, along with many other things.

Thinking from a mothers point of view though, I'm not sure I'd want my lads to join (having 3 of em) but if they were adamant, and were fully aware of what they were getting inot, then I would support them, just as I would with any other job

hi there my boy whos 16 leaves school next month..he is very interested in joining the army i have sent off for a free dvd from their website. .does anyone out there think its a good idea for him to join and can anybody give me some advice as a parent.he does seem pretty keen on the idea.

tell him to join a regiment where he can learn a good trade, the royal signals for example will train him up to use the latest technology so when he comes out he will have a good set of qualifications, or the r e m e will train him in mechanics to a high standard

However much the recruiting adverts make it look just like a video game where you have unlimited lives, the army is all about killing people. Killing people because they belong to a different country or have a different coluor skin to you. And every time a british soldier kills someone that means some child loses a father, a wife loses a husband and a mother loses a son. Is that anything to be proud of?

It's about being told what to do and just mindlessly following orders. There's nothing glamourous about being sent to interfere in another country's internal conflicts and getting blown up in a conflict that is none of more about capitalism and oil than freedom.

If I had a son who wanted to join the army I would urge him not to. If he wants to make the world a better place I would tell him to find a career that involved saving people's lives rather than taking them. And if he then ignoring my advice and joined the army anyway I would disown him.

Its a good job not everybody thought like that in past times we would have been speaking German now and calling each other Hans or Heinrich :D

tell him to join a regiment where he can learn a good trade, the royal signals for example will train him up to use the latest technology so when he comes out he will have a good set of qualifications, or the r e m e will train him in mechanics to a high standard

Good points, as usual.

Be proud of him.

You have clearly done a good job in raising your child, well done.

Archived