Help protect prostitutes

Yes of course, but there are many problems with legalised brothels.

Would you want one in your street, for example?

Would you want a night club on your street? Do you really think that is a reason for them not to exist?

Not only that, but if the women who are doing it to feed habits were given heroin on prescription, they probably wouldn't be on the streets at all.

I think they are, if they're registered on an accredited drugs rehab programme. Or rather they get methadone.

I think they are, if they're registered on an accredited drugs rehab programme. Or rather they get methadone.

Methadone is not the same as heroin and it is only useful once the person has decided to try and come off heroin. If they have not come to that decision by their own volition, they won't be interested in a methadone script, or they'll get one and use smack as well.

There was one pilot scheme for free heroin which I know of in this country, in Liverpool some years ago. It was highly successful. There was (and possibly still is) a much wider scheme in Zurich which was also very successful. Despite the proven effectiveness of this approach, there is still no sign of them being rolled out on a wider basis because of the ill informed hysteria which surrounds issues concerning illegal drugs.

Methadone is not the same as heroin and it is only useful once the person has decided to try and come off heroin. If they have not come to that decision by their own volition, they won't be interested in a methadone script, or they'll get one and use smack as well.

There was one pilot scheme for free heroin which I know of in this country, in Liverpool some years ago. It was highly successful. There was (and possibly still is) a much wider scheme in Zurich which was also very successful. Despite the proven effectiveness of this approach, there is still no sign of them being rolled out on a wider basis because of the ill informed hysteria which surrounds issues concerning illegal drugs.

I don't know enough about heroin substitutes to be honest. I did hear about the Liverpool pilot and I do believe that prostitution and drugs are inextricably linked. There should be more schemes like this as well as outreach work to support women getting off drugs. However, the moral majority who whip up this ill informed hysteria when it comes to drug related matters seem to drive the agenda, rather than pragmatism.

I think that drug users should also have access to clean needles to prevent the spread of HIV, Hepatitis and other blood borne diseases.

They did before; and one consequence of doing so was that there were far fewer addicts, because the NHS does not try to increase its customer base by hooking new people on heroin.

Sorry, I should have clarified, in the current climate and public spending cuts it will not happen, even if the government wanted to implement such a scheme. What is given on prescription? Actual heroin or a substitute?

Sorry, I should have clarified, in the current climate and public spending cuts it will not happen, even if the government wanted to implement such a scheme. What is given on prescription? Actual heroin or a substitute?

Since about 1968, a substitute, which as pointed out already doesn't work. Prior to that it was perfectly legal to get pure, unadulterated heroin from a doctor - which meant heroin addicts could take precisely the amount they needed for their addiction and carry on being useful, working, taxpaying members of society. Since then, with the heroin supply being entirely in the hands of criminals, they've had no choice but to pay astronomically high prices, and resort to whatever form of crime, prostitution, or anything else is necessary to pay those prices.

Take the supply out of the hands of criminals and not only does the cost to the addict fall to almost zero (wiping out much petty crime), but they are also far less likely to need treatment for accidental overdoses and/or dirty drug supplies. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the net result was a cost saving for the NHS - even without taking into account that they could go back to work and pay taxes.

Since about 1968, a substitute, which as pointed out already doesn't work. Prior to that it was perfectly legal to get pure, unadulterated heroin from a doctor - which meant heroin addicts could take precisely the amount they needed for their addiction and carry on being useful, working, taxpaying members of society. Since then, with the heroin supply being entirely in the hands of criminals, they've had no choice but to pay astronomically high prices, and resort to whatever form of crime, prostitution, or anything else is necessary to pay those prices.

Take the supply out of the hands of criminals and not only does the cost to the addict fall to almost zero (wiping out much petty crime), but they are also far less likely to need treatment for accidental overdoses and/or dirty drug supplies. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the net result was a cost saving for the NHS - even without taking into account that they could go back to work and pay taxes.

I totally agree and have always maintained this stance. Even many people who work in law enforcement and the legal system believe that this would wipe out as much as up to 70% of crime.

I think that it is time to have legal brothels that can pay huge amounts in tax and protect the women who work there. However, as people have said, I don't see that this will get women off the streets. Drugs are the problem, and I expect there will still be some men out there who will be willing to pay them.

Archived