'Sex Worker' not 'Prostitute', PC gone mad

I do IT. I've done it freelance and PAYE. One, I'm over paid, respected and paid for the use of my knowledge. The other, I'm ignored, abused, and my willing spreading of my own knowledge is expected.

Brain or body, what's the difference?

Quite, well said. Many people prostitute themselves in one way or another and end up doing a job that they hate and find degrading and demeaning, to make ends meet. If we didn't have such double standards and frankly Victorian attitudes towards female sexuality, then these women would be treated with more respect.

I think what Suffy is referring to is that, had these women been check out girls... their occupation would hardly have been mentioned by the press who would have instead, focused on the crime rather than the girls occupation.

Does it matter to you that these women were prostitutes? or does their murder matter less because they were prostitutes?

Yes, that is what I meant. And these women are everyday women just doing a job. Many men in their position resort to stealing, mugging and burglary.

I honestly do not think that 'sex worker' is a PC term, it is a generic one originally adopted by academics writing about prostitution and other sex work, and has now become more common parlance.

Yes, that is what I meant. And these women are everyday women just doing a job. Many men in their position resort to stealing, mugging and burglary.

I honestly do not think that 'sex worker' is a PC term, it is a generic one originally adopted by academics writing about prostitution and other sex work, and has now become more common parlance.

Firstly I need to get over the shock of squirrel defending suffy!

Thing is suffy it doesn't matter if its PC or not, whats important is that some people on this thread are hiding behind semantics to sneer at people who may be less fortunate than them. People who may have made some bad choices and bad decisions. People who are now dead and its despicable for 2 reasons.

Firstly that people just don't have the dignity to not sneer and mock and deride.

Secondly that they are so cowardly that they hide in the first place. If you're glad that someones been out there slaughtering hookers or pro's or ladies of the night or whatever term you want to use to describe what they did then be honest, grow a pair and admit you're glad that these people who aren't as good as you are dead, start a facebook group, change your sig to reflect your joy. Do whatever you want but be honest and stop hiding behind "well its PC gone mad" because otherwise not only are you coal hearted you're also gutless

The Prime Minister spoke out as Stephen Griffiths, a 40-year-old PhD student charged with the murder of three prostitutes, appeared in court and said his name was “the crossbow cannibal”.

Mr Cameron described the killings of Suzanne Blamires, Susan Rushworth, and Shelley Armitage in Bradford’s red-light district as a “terrible shock”.

He said the issue of decriminalising prostitution-related offences should be "looked at again" and called for tougher action on kerb-crawling and drug abuse.

Speaking to the BBC Look North programme, Mr Cameron said: "I dare say it should be looked at again. I don't think we should jump to conclusions on this - there are all sorts of problems that decriminalisation would bring.

I guess that stranger things have happened.:suspect::confused:

Thing is suffy it doesn't matter if its PC or not, whats important is that some people on this thread are hiding behind semantics to sneer at people who may be less fortunate than them. People who may have made some bad choices and bad decisions. People who are now dead and its despicable for 2 reasons.

Firstly that people just don't have the dignity to not sneer and mock and deride.

Secondly that they are so cowardly that they hide in the first place. If you're glad that someones been out there slaughtering hookers or pro's or ladies of the night or whatever term you want to use to describe what they did then be honest, grow a pair and admit you're glad that these people who aren't as good as you are dead, start a facebook group, change your sig to reflect your joy. Do whatever you want but be honest and stop hiding behind "well its PC gone mad" because otherwise not only are you coal hearted you're also gutless

I agree with you. I strongly believe that no one has any right to sit in judgement of prostitutes, they are not harming anyone and are putting their lives at risk in order to scrape a living. The vast majority of prostitutes do not wake up one morning and think 'it is my life's ambition to be a prostitute' and most would readily give it up if there were other options available to them.

Interestingly, I'm reading a book which discusses prostitution (amongst other things) at the moment. Many of the men interviewed, who do use prostitutes, despise them and hold them in contempt. That says far more about them as it does about the women.

I like this observation.

Yes indeed. The words 'self righteous' and 'hypocrits' come to mind when I read some of things that have been posted on this thread

Archived