'Sex Worker' not 'Prostitute', PC gone mad

Dont say Ive got to Google non-sequitur, unless you want to tell me next Friday at Lifes A Beach !:(
lol, I'm so looking forward to that! I've got my outfit all worked out, just need a Hawaiian shirt now to top off my ensemble. :D

I hope we raise as much if not more, than we did at the Halloween Monster Bash!

Back to the OP - I do not understand why anyone takes issue with this. As has already been highlighted, I can only conclude that it's because people do not think that a prostitute is deserving of a modicum of dignity or humanity which somehow the term 'sex worker' affords her*.

The English language is constantly evolving, it isn't static. Perhaps one day the term 'prostitute' will be completely passe?

* Disclaimer, I personally do not believe that the term 'sex worker' is sanitising, it's just more descriptive.

I think that "sex worker" is an excellent term, unlike most other people.

This is because it allows people in various other unsavoury jobs to be classed in the same group as prostitutes. For example, a stripper in a "gentlemen's club" should also be called a sex worker rather than a dancer. Classing all people who work in the sex industry as being pretty much the same, is healthy.

I think that "sex worker" is an excellent term, unlike most other people.

This is because it allows people in various other unsavoury jobs to be classed in the same group as prostitutes. For example, a stripper in a "gentlemen's club" should also be called a stripper.

Do gentlemen watch strippers?:hihi::hihi:

lol, I'm so looking forward to that! I've got my outfit all worked out, just need a Hawaiian shirt now to top off my ensemble. :D

I hope we raise as much if not more, than we did at the Halloween Monster Bash!

Dont forget to tell me what that peculiar word means when I get to the bar will you ?:roll:

Back to the OP - I do not understand why anyone takes issue with this. As has already been highlighted, I can only conclude that it's because people do not think that a prostitute is deserving of a modicum of dignity or humanity which somehow the term 'sex worker' affords her.

Completely wrong, at least in my case. My preference for the term prostitute is born out of a love of the English language. For me it's not a judgemental term and we shouldn't be scared of using it. The same goes for words like deaf and blind which people shy away from using as too blunt now, despite them being very useful and simple on syllable descriptions which everyone can understand.

I suppose it's a personal thing and I'll go on using the word prostitute.

Archived