'Sex Worker' not 'Prostitute', PC gone mad

It isn't. It's insulting to call a dead girl a prostitute when we have other words we can use.
I have to say I disagree. If she was a prostitute then she was. Its not an insult but its also not very sensitive to the people she left behind who may not have known

And the thinking behind it is sadly all too obvious.

When I hear a chap using the phrase slag/ lesbian /frigid like it's a insult my immediate thought is "so how many women have turned YOU down recently then mate?". Chaps who are "successful" with the lasses tend not to use such language.

Or if I hear a woman using the same language then I think "ooh that person is regretting her own lifestyle choices and wanting to take it out on someone else".

Women who are content with their own lives don't need to stand in judgement on other women.

Like you say, very obvious ;) People who use such terms only implicate themselves.

A prostitute is a prostitute. It is not rude to say that.

My stance was never that we shouldn't use the word. My stance was that history has loaded the word with negativity. From Latin the word has an element of shame in it. The thesaurus gives us a million other negative images with the word. You can't argue with that? If you wish to reclaim the word i support you, but some are not wishing to change the interpretation. They are happy to use the word in it's negative context, which is not something i support.

My stance was never that we shouldn't use the word. My stance was that history has loaded the word with negativity. From Latin the word has an element of shame in it. The thesaurus gives us a million other negative images with the word. You can't argue with that? If you wish to reclaim the word i support you, but some are not wishing to change the interpretation. They are happy to use the word in it's negative context, which is not something i support.

Would you re-phrase this sentence?

'a prostitute is someone who sells their body for money'

Would you re-phrase this sentence?

'a prostitute is someone who sells their body for money'

What would be the point? You know enough english to do this on your own.

I never said it was wrong to use the word in some contexts.

Archived