'Sex Worker' not 'Prostitute', PC gone mad

How do you manage to equate a bank robber with a drug addict...or a woman selling sex? :huh:

Quite, it's a ridiculous analogy and a very value laden one. One is stealing, the other is actually giving, but just happens to be illegal for a host of ridiculously outdated reasons which are rooted in religion and antediluvian notions of female sexuality.

Yes, it would be interesting to hear from the men on this forum (and statistically, there must be a significant percentage) who have availed themselves of the services of a prostitute/sex worker.

In my experience, the term “accosted” is more apt than “availed”:

1. Walking down Rockingham St after leaving the City Hall, A young woman crossed over and asked for a “light”. I didn’t smoke so had no option but to decline her request.

2. I was taking a late evening stroll (this being a few years ago) through the estate where I live when two young ladies aged 14-16 crossed over and asked me for “a light”. Once again I declined as I am a non smoker.

3. Recently, whilst on my way to work (2.30pm) I pulled in close to Southey library to return a book when a young woman knocked on the window and asked if I would like to go with her for half an hour (in the rear view mirror I could see a Jaguar pull up a few yards behind). I explained that I was on my way to work (they’d have never took that as an excuse) and, although she was quite persistent in her endeavours I was not convinced that there were any Buildings of Historic Interest in the vicinity, so, despite her protestations I declined her offer and continued my business with the library.

That's very true and applies to both sexes, I feel. An extreme example would be the man who comes over to chat up a woman who, when turned down, acuses the woman of being a dyke or frigid. That says more about him than anything really.

Nowt wrong with being a dyke ;) Or frigid.

We're back to language and re-defining words to make them less of an insult and more of a "meh, cool if I am" kind of thing.

My stance was never that we shouldn't use the word. My stance was that history has loaded the word with negativity. From Latin the word has an element of shame in it. The thesaurus gives us a million other negative images with the word. You can't argue with that? If you wish to reclaim the word i support you, but some are not wishing to change the interpretation. They are happy to use the word in it's negative context, which is not something i support.

I can see you are coming from a very chivalrous point of view on this :)

What I (copying Shaz) was trying to say was that by suggesting prostitute as a basic word has a negative meaning we are indirectly perpetuating this idea that the whole profession is "wrong" in some way. Even if done with the best will in the world :).

For example, my mother regards "divorced" as an ugly word. I'm very divorced. Ho ho ho (not ho as in prostitute, as in laughing :suspect:).

Now if I started trying to conceal the fact that I am divorced, that would just be pandering to some stupid prejudice of hers. Why should I? So I call myself divorced. That's what I am, and it doesn't need to be dressed up or concealed. She and her friends may not like it, but then I don't really like them that much either so we're even.

I suppose the argument is that "most people" think prostitute is a "shameful" word. Well, then those people's opinions are trash and need to be ignored not indulged.

The fact is, "most people" would be far better off concentrating on sorting their own lives than on a fringe profession that doesn't really affect any of us, when it comes down to it.

In my experience, the term “accosted” is more apt than “availed”:

1. Walking down Rockingham St after leaving the City Hall, A young woman crossed over and asked for a “light”. I didn’t smoke so had no option but to decline her request.

2. I was taking a late evening stroll (this being a few years ago) through the estate where I live when two young ladies aged 14-16 crossed over and asked me for “a light”. Once again I declined as I am a non smoker.

3. Recently, whilst on my way to work (2.30pm) I pulled in close to Southey library to return a book when a young woman knocked on the window and asked if I would like to go with her for half an hour (in the rear view mirror I could see a Jaguar pull up a few yards behind). I explained that I was on my way to work (they’d have never took that as an excuse) and, although she was quite persistent in her endeavours I was not convinced that there were any Buildings of Historic Interest in the vicinity, so, despite her protestations I declined her offer and continued my business with the library.

Sounds like the kind of harassment us women have to contend with all the time. Welcome to our world.

Archived