'Sex Worker' not 'Prostitute', PC gone mad

In the context of three women having been brutally murdered and in one case chopped up and put in a river, is it really so noteworthy or concerning that as a mark of respect for the family a newspaper should take the small step of using the less harsh 'sex worker' instead of prostitute to describe them?

It may be a transparently token gesture, but I would think any reasonable person would appreciate the intent and think it commendable. We are after all talking about women that have been victims of vicious and brutal attacks who are much loved by their families and in one case by her children and grandchildren.

What's wrong with the word prostitute? it's a respectable word and accurately describes their work and doesn't imply anything judgemental. Now, if the papers started using the word whore or similar words that have negative connotations and are used as an insult you would have a point. I'm all for accuracy in reporting and the word prostitute is perfectly acceptable.

The term sex-worker is more wishy washy and could mean a variety of things.

True, but the term "sex worker" seems to be an attempt to make prostitution sound like it's properly regimented, unionised and controlled. In truth, it's a very long way from that.
Exactly, that nails it very well.

What's wrong with the word prostitute? it's a perfectly respectable word and accurately describes their work and doesn't imply anything judgemental. Now, if the papers started using the word whore or similar words that have negative connotations and are used as an insult you would have a point. I'm all for accuracy in reporting and the word prostitute is perfectly acceptable.

Once again the voice of commonsense.

What's wrong with the word prostitute? it's a respectable word and accurately describes their work and doesn't imply anything judgemental. Now, if the papers started using the word whore or similar words that have negative connotations and are used as an insult you would have a point. I'm all for accuracy in reporting and the word prostitute is perfectly acceptable.

Well, it is usually used as a generic term to cover all types of sex work. I don't see why both terms can't be used, although identifying these women as prostitutes in the first place is sensationalist, in my view and detracts from the fact that these are everyday women who have been brutally and horribly murdered.

This reminds me of when George Michael was caught ''at it'' in America.

We were in Spain, and I was listening to the BBC World Service who announced in a very stilted voice '' . . . the popular British singer, Mr George Michael, has been arrested for an alleged offence in a Los Angeles toilet ''.

My wife wouldn't believe me until we passed a news stand with The Sun on it with the headline '' Zip me up before you go go''. :)

Did they call the undercover cop a male prostitute or a methane excavator.

There are already words to describe a person who accepts money for sex,

prostitute, whore, harlot.

Why use another title which is more of a general term unless it is to disguise the specific occupation of the person and make it appear more acceptable.

I have no praticular problem with the word prostitute being used, as you do, but you go on to admit that sex-worker is more wishy washy... and is therefore more acceptable. Which is the point I was making.

The intentions of the reporter using sex-worker instead of prostitute are therefore more respectful of the feelings of the families for these victims. There is no need to complain about political correctness. In circumstances where families of the victims and people they know will be reading reports about someone they knew and loved the intentions and actions of making the small substitution for something more acceptable is thoroughly justified and commendible.

Archived