Why don't some supermarket trolleys take tokens.

Coming home this lunchtime I called at Llidl on Heeley bottom for some supplies. I tried my trusty token in a range of trolley to no avail, and ended up having to go in store to get a pound coin for the trolley. This isn't the first time this has happened, and it is a bit of a pain waiting for a cashier to give change for a trolley. It is the sort of thing that would make me detour to a different supermarket if I was lacking the pound coin in future.

Why do some supermarkets do this?

Are you talking about using one of those things that isn't actually a pound just looks like one to get a trolley? I guess some trolleys are designed to only accept real pound coins, for some reason. Not sure how that would work but could be the case.

The Supermarket that I go to has a lad who collects the trolleys and puts them near the entrance. Why would anyone want a trolley, apart from at a supermarket ?

Some people without cars will use them to take shopping home. Some people with cars will leave them anywhere in the carpark. Some children steal them to ride about in.

I wouldn't be surprised if the scrap man would have them too!

Morrisons' trolleys require a pound coin or token, I tend to forget because I used to shop at ASDA and only the smaller trolleys need a £ coin there. I end up having to go to the desk to change some money, or asking random passersby (very nicely) if they have change.

Isn't it to discourage people from nicking the trolleys, and also to encourage us to put them back in an appropriate place instead of leaving them in the middle of the carpark?

Archived