Why don't some supermarket trolleys take tokens.

I don't understand this. If you nick the trolley you have your pound coin back as well.

I imagine its hard to get the pound coin back out of the trolley. I'm not sure I've never stolen a trolley! They make the chain just a little bit too short to fit it the other side of the metal thingy.

Well, they say that one learns something new every day.

I'm due for a dinner party Saturday night, I shall use this as an anecdote.

I've done a bit of googling and found out that some stores have an electronic perimeter around the store and pushing a trolley outside of the perimeter will cause the brakes to lock. Others have electronic alarms (you might run to help somebody who is being raped and find yourself in the middle of a trolley jacking).

~100000 stole a year (about one every 5 minutes) in the UK.

At £100 a pop, that's £10 million.

I imagine its hard to get the pound coin back out of the trolley. I'm not sure I've never stolen a trolley! They make the chain just a little bit too short to fit it the other side of the metal thingy.

You were obviously contemplating it and went against the idea when you realised you couldn't get the £1 back out as easily as you thought. :hihi:

You were obviously contemplating it and went against the idea when you realised you couldn't get the £1 back out as easily as you thought. :hihi:

Lol no, I've no use for a trolley, it would be a very bad idea to try and ride one down my street. Plus I couldn't fit one in my car, and it'd be a long walk home...

I imagine that if you have walked off with a trolley extracting the coin isn't going to be a major problem. I've seen the trolley lads pull them out with a pair of pliers.

But just getting back to the OP. The only reason why a supermarket would insist on a pound rather than a token would be the value of the coin. But as the coin disappears along with the trolley such a reason seams bizzare.

I don't know why they do it. Perhaps the token manufactures have to make the tokes slightly different from £1 coins so folks can't stick them in slot machines and the coin mechanism on the trolleys can't cope.

Archived