Wildlife getting killed on our roads.

This thread was prompted by the fact that I yet again saw three wildlife animals laying dead in the road on my way to work today.

I regularly see hedgehogs, grouse, pheasants, rabbits, stoats, pigeons, ants and many rodents.

I can honestly say that in all my years of driving I have NEVER run a wildlife member over. So I got round to thinking that by the laws of averages if I have not run ANY over in many years someone must be doing it on purpose! So why do some drivers ride around all day running wildlife over on purpose!:loopy::loopy::loopy:

This thread was prompted by the fact that I yet again saw three wildlife animals laying dead in the road on my way to work today.

I regularly see hedgehogs, grouse, pheasants, rabbits, stoats, pigeons, ants and many rodents.

I can honestly say that in all my years of driving I have NEVER run a wildlife member over. So I got round to thinking that by the laws of averages if I have not run ANY over in many years someone must be doing it on purpose! So why do some drivers ride around all day running wildlife over on purpose!:loopy::loopy::loopy:

I love animals, theya re my life, but you've got to be taking the mick?

Because they're vermin, I never slow down for pigeons. If they're going to strut around in the road expecting me to slow down for them, they've another thing coming, my tyres to be exact.

I THINK the OP is taking the mick but I sincerely HOPE you are taking the mick.

How on earth did you see dead ants on the road?

I have only ever knocked down one wild animal in over 10 years of driving. It was a Rabbit and as much as I tried to avoid it, there was little I could do.

I have excellent vision.

I've hit a rabbit, a squirrel and a pheasant. None of them on purpose. On a country lane if something runs from a hedge directly under your wheel there isn't a lot you could have done to avoid it. It can't be anticipated.

I have excellent vision.

This thread is hilarious! I don't find dead animals funny, as I said, they are my life, but sometimes it's impossible to avoid animals on the road. When my dad hit a pigeon I cried for ages but he didn't mean to. I'm pretty sure there's no conspiracy to cull the local wildlife via motor vehicles at the moment :)

I've hit a rabbit, a squirrel and a pheasant. None of them on purpose. On a country lane if something runs from a hedge directly under your wheel there isn't a lot you could have done to avoid it. It can't be anticipated.

I drive on country lanes to work and NEVER hit anything! :suspect:

I once knew someone who hit a pheasant, however, the pheasant was still alive, but slightly injured. She picked up the pheasant by it's head and violently swung it around to break it's neck. Not sure if she took it home to put in the pot?!

Apart from the rabbit, I also have knocked down a dog. The dog was wondering across a dark country lane. I hit the damn thing and thought I had killed it. It wasn't until I went up to it that I realised it was still alive. Anyhow, the damn thing limped off into the darkness and I was left with a £1200 bill for the damage it had created. Nice :)

Archived