Why suggest a dead person rests in peace?

Why do people use this expression? I could understand if the deceased had suffered for some time proir to their death but dead peope aren't resting in peace. They aren't doing anything. They are dead. I would be offended if someone said that of a deceased relative of mine.

Even if you believe in heaven or whatever other afterlife rings your bell, how long would you expect someone to rest peacefully before they got their wings and were reunited with all their dead friends and relatives that had made it to the big gig in the sky?

It seems to be used so much on this forum that it has lost any meaning.

Why do people use this expression? I could understand if the deceased had suffered for some time proir to their death but dead peope aren't resting in peace. They aren't doing anything. They are dead. I would be offended if someone said that of a deceased relative of mine.

Even if you believe in heaven or whatever other afterlife rings your bell, how long would you expect someone to rest peacefully before they got their wings and were reunited with all their dead friends and relatives that had made it to the big gig in the sky?

It seems to be used so much on this forum that it has lost any meaning.

Different strokes for different folks ;)

If I'm correct most people in the UK get to rest in relative peace for about 100 years, then the land is re-used, or so I was told.

Now I say relative peace because not all grave sites get peace, they get vandals and thieves.

I've always seen it as a sign of respect to wish peace upon the dead, like taking your hat off when a funeral car passes.

And why should wishing peace upon some one be a negative thing?

Bloomdido, I hope that your deceased relatives and ancestors rest in peace.

Salam bloomdido, peace be upon you, I wish you peace beyond all imagination.

If this insults you and gets you frothing at the mouth, then I'll just have to wish more peace upon you.

Be in peace.

Peace.

Doesn't it hark back to the times when people thought that the dead rose from the grave to go about the world, All Hallows Eve? They hoped they would stay quietly in their graves and not trouble them 'rest in peace' until the Day of Judgment.

from somewhere on google People have always been superstitious about mentioning the name of a dead person. Primitive man thought that by doing this, the dead person’s spirit would be disturbed and it would return to haunt the living.

By wishing for a soul to “rest in peace,” people hoped that the spirit would stay within the dead body.

Today, “May his soul rest in peace” is used more as a sign of respect for the dead person rather than the continuation of a superstition.

Doesn't it hark back to the times when people thought that the dead rose from the grave to go about the world, All Hallows Eve? They hoped they would stay quietly in their graves and not trouble them 'rest in peace' until the Day of Judgment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requiescat_in_pace

I think you mind find this useful, if you really are interested in finding the phrases origins.

Archived