20 mph but why not 1.3cc ?

20 mph is ok by me but I am the sort of person that is radical enough to suggest we go a lot further.

Rarther than start down this route that is open to opposition from people that are not daft enough to work out that this would be an eccological nightmare, we should start from the top and ban all new cars being above 1.3 cc unless it be for transport of goods or emergency veircles.

1.3 engiens now are fast enough for anything and it would help in the quest to cut speeding on motorways and car theft with the only cars fast enough to be on the road being the police.

It seems stupid with the new look at how we think the future should be that we have not even concidered this solution.

If electric veircles were excempt then the buisness class would drive forward the ecconomics to drive down fual emissions. A win win situation.

Lets see if the new politics of this country are really up to change !

We are looking at cut backs in all walks of our lives to try and save the future. Why not a cap on cars CC ?

Don't mean to be pedantic but I assume you mean 1300cc? Lawn mowers have usually 25cc or so. Don't think 1.3cc would be up to the job? Do you mean 1.3 litre or 1300cc?

What would you do with those people that had cars already over that level? Gradually phase them out......or be a total dictator & ban them?

You'd possibly just start a wave of police car theft. Have you considered that?

I don't have a problem with people owning larger engines, provided that they are paying enough in excise duty to cover the cost of the extra pollution. The current excise duty system is supposed to reflect this; whether it goes far enough I don't know, but it's the right idea.

Can't see it happening.

The people able to impose such rules will miss their Mercs/BMW's/Jaguars/etc too much.

Not a genuine reason, but I would imagine these manufacturers may have something to say about it.

I don't have a problem with people owning larger engines, provided that they are paying enough in excise duty to cover the cost of the extra pollution. The current excise duty system is supposed to reflect this; whether it goes far enough I don't know, but it's the right idea.

It probably balances out - people with larger engines get through more petrol so pay more in tax overall via that.

Well you can get more efficient and less polluting 2.0L engines that 1.3L. It depends on the age of the car, condition etc.

You can't just go saying ban all cars over a certain engine capacity because it's not that straightforward.

Great idea as long as I can keep my 1.8 roadster …………. :cool:

Its never going to happen though is it, 70mph is the national speed limit and presumably they could program ECU.s to cap the speed limit as part of the MOT but that’s not going to happen either.

We all know that the technology is there BUT THEY WANT YOU TO BREAK THE LAW so they can get fines from you to pay for the 'don't work, don't want to work' brigade.

Why cap high performance models at 155mph. What's that all about...it's irrelevant! Might as well not bother!

Archived