20 mph but why not 1.3cc ?

The person who started this thread must live in a cave and eat moss and insects because thats good for mother earth! Why should we swap our cars for 1300cc models? I get raped by the goverment with tax like everybody else. I get paid and pay tax, I buy food and get taxed, I buy fuel and get taxed I have to pay road tax that riles me the most because the roads in India are probably in better nick than ours! As for child safety learn them the green cross code teach them the rules of the road and let them know no matter what size car (or cc) or the speed it is traveling IT WILL HURT YOU IF NOT KILL YOU!! when kids get knocked over the driver always gets the blame and it might be there fault the odd time but I bet the majority of the time it is down to kids not being educated!!

superb post and 100% correct . i totally agree with you

Brilliant.

More excuses to let kids sit for hours in front of computer and TV screens.

We should be encouraging our children to get out more, not less.

we should be encouraging them to play in gardens and parks granted but surely you dont dissagree that they should not be allowed to play in the roads :loopy:

If they cut cars down to 1.3 then wouldnt they have to cut down the tax threshold to a lower level as the way the lighter cars would save on road ware I would imagine and the polution argument used to calculate tax is reduced. The saving at the pump would save you on fual tax.

A nice idea but very naive, given your scenario a 1.3 car would then become a “big” polluting car and we would all be encouraged to drive something below 1.0, the tax and fuel prices would be adjusted accordingly leaving us no better off. .

Maybe we need to define what a "Child" is. Perhaps any child outside of its garden or defined space on it's own under the age of 6 should be confiscated and the parents charged with negligence. Say between 6 and 9 they are allowed out but must be supervised by someone over 14. After that it's their own fault if they are daft enough not to understand that Roads are for cars and pavements/gardens/play areas are for people. Might stop some of these zombies just producing kids for the sake of it and realise their responsibilities. They also use up space and resources which are finite on this world.

I get raped by the goverment with tax like everybody else. I get paid and pay tax, I buy food and get taxed, I buy fuel and get taxed I have to pay road tax that riles me the most because the roads in India are probably in better nick than ours!

And in return amongst other things you get the NHS, free education, the army - and a road network that is a damn site better than India's.

And in return amongst other things you get the NHS, free education, the army - and a road network that is a damn site better than India's.

The NHS fair enough but as for FREE education it ain't my parents worked and paid tax so in a way they paid for it. The road network is **** in a word and the army is fighting a war that isnt ours and our lads are coming home in wooden over coats for what?? The tax is going to go up because of imigration and people who cant even speak the queens are wanting our health care!

What a totally barking mad idea. A 1.3 engine can be made to put out 250/300 BHP these days, but it would rev to 10,000 RPM and use more fuel than a 3 litre. Surely the idea is not to errect artificial obstacles to motor manufacturers, but to encourage us to be more fuel efficient. That is exactly what happens with the emission based taxation rates and the cost of fuel.

The NHS fair enough but as for FREE education it ain't my parents worked and paid tax so in a way they paid for it.

They contributed towards your education no doubt. Paid for it I very much doubt unless you had a private education.

Bear in mind that they want to reduce the speed limit to 20 to reduce the number of children etc being killed on the residential roads (nothing to do with emissions). Therefore the easy answer is to ban children from our roads. Make parents responsible for their kids and charge them with neglect/manslaughter if they let their kids go on the road and are involved in an accident. Simple, problem solved now onto the next one.

Something seems to be working in S.Yorks,

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news2/Road-death-toll-of-kids.6207849.jp

Interesting quote from the article

"Ken Wheat, manager of South Yorkshire Safer Roads Partnership which is made up of council and health officials and police, said: "This zero figure makes the Partnership determined to do even more and further reduce numbers of people killed or injured."

20 mph is ok by me but I am the sort of person that is radical enough to suggest we go a lot further.

Rarther than start down this route that is open to opposition from people that are not daft enough to work out that this would be an eccological nightmare, we should start from the top and ban all new cars being above 1.3 cc unless it be for transport of goods or emergency veircles.

1.3 engiens now are fast enough for anything and it would help in the quest to cut speeding on motorways and car theft with the only cars fast enough to be on the road being the police.

It seems stupid with the new look at how we think the future should be that we have not even concidered this solution.

If electric veircles were excempt then the buisness class would drive forward the ecconomics to drive down fual emissions. A win win situation.

Lets see if the new politics of this country are really up to change !

We are looking at cut backs in all walks of our lives to try and save the future. Why not a cap on cars CC ?

Fantastic idea. :loopy:

Whilst we're at it why don't we make everyone have a 14" TV, after all there's no need for anyone to have a 50" Plasma is there? :rolleyes:

Just think of all the extra pollution caused by big screen TV's.

PS on my drive I've got 7000 cc of engines, in 3 cars, and not one of them is 1300 or less. Even my garden tools have petrol engines.

My everyday car achieves an average of 45mpg, my wife's gets around 55mpg and my toy car car sometimes see as little as 12mpg.

Guess which one I enjoy driving the most? :twisted:

Archived