Who are you and what are you doing here?

When I awoke this morning I rolled over and, almost without thinking, mumbled the words "who are you and what are you doing here?"

I soon realised that the question was, of course, not directed at the unsunken pillow next to mine, but rather myself. I felt it was a perfectly valid question, so I should answer carefully and honestly.

I pondered the answer for some time but my answers only led me to more questions because I was ignoring the truth. Perhaps avoiding it deliberately because of the equally horrific and beautiful realisation that lies within. The conscious mind was demanding an answer based on who I thought I was. An image projected by all the manifestations of my life. An ego driven roller coaster ride that I thought defined who I was.

So I ask you the same question - who are you and what are you doing here? - and I invite you to go deep within to find the answer. What is beneath who you think you are?

so you are just living upto your name?

well I am me and therefore I am. I am the only one that tells me what to do, make my choices and live my life by my own decisions. I am here as I choose to be, doing what I choose to do.

I am me, everything and nothing, matter and anti matter.

I am here to gain knowledge so when my mortal body is too frail to continue i will take my gained knowledge onto the next path.

If i have not learnt enough on this life journey then i shall return to start again.

I am here to gain knowledge so when my mortal body is too frail to continue i will take my gained knowledge onto the next path.

If i have not learnt enough on this life journey then i shall return to start again.

Are you Buddhist? That is the basic core of their philosophy. Nirvana, or you keep coming back again and again.

I like the idea, but i don't know about reincarnation. I have the same doubts about that as i do with an afterlife.

Are you Buddhist? That is the basic core of their philosophy. Nirvana, or you keep coming back again and again.

I like the idea, but i don't know about reincarnation. I have the same doubts about that as i do with an afterlife.

Nope i am not buddist. I follow a path which is unique to me and try hard to live by set morals and standards which is not always easy in this day and age.:D

I do believe the universe is everything and nothing though and if people looked closely enough, i mean really stopped and listened then they would see that magic really does exsist and is happening every second of everyday.

Ps, reality is far far stranger and bizarre than fiction. we are the stuff that dreamn {and nightmares} are made off. :)

Well that's healthy scepticism. To believe in reincarnation requires faith and not something many people are willing to trust and live by.

Personally, I find the more I lose faith, the more content I am with just... being. The most glorious freedom can be found in the fact that yes, you will die and you will be forgotten in the mists of time, but the present moment of being is not changed one bit by this truth. It is indestructible and immortal, but not in the literal sense as the soul is portrayed in most religions. You can cling to faith but the truth is already there within.

Nope i am not buddist. I follow a path which is unique to me and try hard to live by set morals and standards which is not always easy in this day and age.:D

I do believe the universe is everything and nothing though and if people looked closely enough, i mean really stopped and listened then they would see that magic really does exsist and is happening every second of everyday.

That's an admirable way to live and view everything.

By the sound of it I'm sure you're familiar with the philosophy of "as above, so below". This is such an amazing concept to meditate over. I often think about how everything and everyone reinforces the existence of everything and everyone else. It sounds a bit awkward in a sentence, but it is part of that concept you touched on - everything and nothing as a single entity.

That's an admirable way to live and view everything.

By the sound of it I'm sure you're familiar with the philosophy of "as above, so below". This is such an amazing concept to meditate over. I often think about how everything and everyone reinforces the existence of everything and everyone else. It sounds a bit awkward in a sentence, but it is part of that concept you touched on - everything and nothing as a single entity.

Exactly ;)

Personally, I find the more I lose faith, the more content I am with just... being.

I'm part Buddhist i guess, i find that i have little waves of karma. Somedays life hurts (self-doubt, no money, worried) and somedays life is beautiful (why worry, be happy). One just has to ride the ups and the downs.

24 Hour Party People

Welcome to the Wheel of Fortune. There it is, the wheel that throughout the centuries has been used as a symbol for the vicissitudes of life. Boethius himself in his great work 'The Consolation of Philosophy' compares history to a great wheel, hoisting us up, then dropping us down again. "Inconsistency is my very essence" -says the wheel- "Raise yourself up on my spokes if you wish, but don't complain when you plunge back down" Now spin the wheel.

Archived