Anyone at the dogs last night?

Inquiry launched into mass killing of greyhounds - 2006

The Environment Agency has opened an investigation following reports that one man had slaughtered at least 10,000 racing greyhounds at his home and then buried them on his land.

Silly me. It was a field full of 10,000 dead dogs, not a mass grave.

I was answering a question about deaths at the track, I doubt mass graves are needed there.

As I have already said, I have never seen a dog killed.

Thats very sweet of you.

I'm not sure they ever actually slaughter the dogs in full view of the paying public so perhaps thats why you've not seen it, but its likely that a few of the hounds you've backed end up being shot. Perhaps if you ask nicely they'll let you watch the dogs who get the ten quid a time bolt gun to the head. Will that make you feel better about the ones you backed that lost?

12000 dogs a year are destroyed as a result of this industry. Its such a shame we haven't evolved sufficiently to progress from this "sport"

Just out of curiosity are you a vegan or a vegetarian, you have very strong views regarding animals?

I was answering a question about deaths at the track, I doubt mass graves are needed there.

Why would they slaughter a dog at the track? The idea is proposterous.

Here is my fundamental point about dog racing; some people can't even be nice to their pets. Following that logic through, why would some people (not all) tolerate a racing animal that can no longer race? They wouldn't, which is why there are "conveyor belts of death" (to paraphrase Greyhound Gap).

There is an ugly underbelly to dog racing, like there is an ugly underbelly to all animal industries. From horse racing, to farming, to zoos: there is always areas of animal abuse. It is abhorent, it will always be abhorent, and it should be condemned by all right minded people.

our molly is running tuesday....it is what greyhounds do...she is now upto A2 and improving every race....our dog is well looked after...and wants for nothing...

some breeders turn out hundreds on their farms....and get rid of those unlikely to make the grade....

it is these people that need sorting out...not the greyhound racing organisation

our molly is running tuesday....it is what greyhounds do...she is now upto A2 and improving every race....our dog is well looked after...and wants for nothing...

some breeders turn out hundreds on their farms....and get rid of those unlikely to make the grade....

it is these people that need sorting out...not the greyhound racing organisation

The entire industry is indefensible - you kid yourself that because "molly" (have you re-registered her now? she was Swiss Roll wasn't she?) has what you perceive to be a nice life then its probably all ok. Tell me this - how many were in Molly's litter? How many are still traceable? She was one of the "hundreds on farms" that you talk about. The industry wouldn't survive if it wasn't for the breeders you seem to differentiate yourself from.

However, Walthamstow has closed, Portsmouth has closed, the industry is dying before our eyes, so there is hope.

Archived