Anyone at the dogs last night?

How dreary a response - by that rationale you'd only ever debate with people whose opinion was fuelled by a lukewarm indifference, which surely can never be fun. I believe that the exploitation of greyhounds for sport is reprehensible, tell me why it isn't.

Its "biased" by the way - in the context in which you use it you are seeking an adjective rather than a noun.

A pedant aswell as a burger dodger.:roll:

Eastbank made a good point, the breeders are the ones breeding to many dogs.

Also this issue has been adressed a lot since the incident in 2006.

And people are still buying dogs from them, so they are responsible by proxy.

The point is alot of these dogs are killed by the breeders, the runts, deformed etc.

That happens in all breeds.

I got that info from the greyhound protection society.

The point is alot of these dogs are killed by the breeders, the runts, deformed etc.

In the hands of the immoral only the fastest greyhounds live long enough to race, and then only the very best live long enough to breed. Then they are disposed of or killed. That falls far short of the runts and deformed, sadly.

The only hope a racing greyhound has of a regular life is with a decent racer or someone who is willing to adopt it afterwards. I'm sure Eastbank is a perfectly respectable man who loves his dog(s) very much, but he is in a minority in the sport.

In the hands of the immoral only the fastest greyhounds live long enough to race, and then only the very best live long enough to breed. Then they are disposed of or killed. That falls far short of the runts and deformed, sadly.

The only hope a racing greyhound has of a regular life is with a decent racer or someone who is willing to adopt it afterwards. I'm sure Eastbank is a perfectly respectable man who loves his dog(s) very much, but he is in a minority in the sport.

Not all go to the track, a lot go coursing which isn't regulated.

Only quoting the greyhound protection society.

Your point is very one sided, Oxford track for example guarantees every retired dog gets found a home. That happens all over the country.

Your post above it very inacurate.

Your point is very one sided, Oxford track for example guarantees every retired dog gets found a home. That happens all over the country.

A link for the 'Greyhound Protection Society' please? I can only find the 'Greyhound Protection League', and while they are based in America a lot of what they say stands for the British sport too.

As for the second point, my girlfriend is a Veterinary Nurse and we have links with animal sanctuaries. I know the truth, and it isn't all happy endings in happy homes. Some dogs get rehomed, i know the Greyhound Gap do wonderful work, but a large proportion are killed or thrown away. Even the RSPCA can't keep on top of the number of dogs and have to put down unwanted dogs of all breeds. Then add onto that the stress of domesticating a kennel greyhound and the odds of them all finding nice homes are minute.

Not all go to the track, a lot go coursing which isn't regulated.

Your post above it very inacurate.

As, indeed, is yours. What other tracks guarantee a home? What about the following from Greyhound Action:

According to figures published in recent years, about 700 litters are registered annually in Britain and 4,300 in Ireland. The general consensus amongst those involved in greyhound rescue and dog breeding seems to be that greyhound litters comprise at least 8 pups, on average. Therefore, the figures would indicate that approximately 5,600 (8x700) greyhounds are born every year in Britain and 34,400 (8x4,300) in Ireland. A total figure of 40,000.

There is also bound to be a considerable number of unregistered litters, where greyhounds are bred for such purposes as hunting, rough coursing and unlicensed racing - so the total number of greyhounds born annually in the British Isles (i.e. the UK and the Republic of Ireland) could quite easily be 45,000 or more. Individual greyhounds are also registered by the coursing clubs, and when the figures for these are examined, a very disturbing situation emerges. In recent years the annual figure for new greyhounds registered in Britain is about 4150. This is an average of only 6 pups per litter - so what has happened to the other 2 pups per litter? About 1,450 pups seem to have gone missing

In Ireland about 23,700 pups are registered (“named”) annually. An average of just over 5.5 per litter, meaning a shortfall of more than 10,700 pups.

Where are these missing puppies - a total of almost 12,150 altogether

A link for the 'Greyhound Protection Society' please? I can only find the 'Greyhound Protection League', and while they are based in America a lot of what they say stands for the British sport too.

As for the second point, my girlfriend is a Veterinary Nurse and we have links with animal sanctuaries. I know the truth, and it isn't all happy endings in happy homes. Some dogs get rehomed, i know the Greyhound Gap do wonderful work, but a large proportion are killed or thrown away. Even the RSPCA can't keep on top of the number of dogs and have to put down unwanted dogs of all breeds. Then add onto that the stress of domesticating a kennel greyhound and the odds of them all finding nice homes are minute.

I googled it last night.

I think it is best to leave you with it because as corker said your biased opinion will not allow anything else to be considered.

I must trot, I've a chicken curry to sort out.

BYE.

Archived