Anyone at the dogs last night?

Oxford greyhound trust has two dogs available for adoption.

It has found homes for 96 dogs over the last few years.

You said every dog. You believe only 96 dogs have retired over the space of a few years around the Oxford area? And they have all gone to good homes? Not even RSPCA have a 100% rehoming rate, or Battersea Dogs home. What are the Oxford branch of Greyhound Trust doing so well?

The second option is that only 96 have been rehomed, and the rest have been shot or put-down by vets because nobody wanted them.

You said every dog. You believe only 96 dogs have retired over the space of a few years around the Oxford area? And they have all gone to good homes? Not even RSPCA have a 100% rehoming rate, or Battersea Dogs home. What are the Oxford branch of Greyhound Trust doing so well?

The second option is that only 96 have been rehomed, and the rest have been shot or put-down by vets because nobody wanted them.

Thats one kennel.

Look it up, I have and theres more than one.

You see I am not saying it's perfect just not as bad as you say.

The greyhound tracks put loads of money into retired greyhounds, I have been to fundraisers myself.

It isn't cut and dried as you seem to want to think.

The greyhound tracks put loads of money into retired greyhounds, I have been to fundraisers myself.

I have worked with animal sanctuaries and seen the work of Greyhound Gap first hand. I applaud any work to rehome them, but it will always fall short. Always. There is a huge disproportion of dogs to the homes that want them. So naturally the dogs are either killed or given to a charity. In a sanctuary they either languish in kennels until they are homed or old, or they are put down to make way for new dogs coming in. It isn't perfect, and it isn't even close to being good.

You don't seem to be sure and god knows what your on about with the Jewish lol.

At the end of the day the amount of people going to watch greyhound racing makes it a popular "sport" so its always going to happen never mind how much you try and preach or impress with your jargon.

Impress with my jargon?? Good Lord! Is that the best you can do?

As a sport its dying on its feet, Walthamstow and Portsmouth have closed, betting has experienced a £3.5 million reduction in the last 2 years (about 15-20%), there are 14% fewer registered trainers and attendance is dropping (GRA recorded a 15% drop in attendance last year). The industry is collapsing. I personally hope to see it die out in my lifetime

I have worked with animal sanctuaries and seen the work of Greyhound Gap first hand. I applaud any work to rehome them, but it will always fall short. Always. There is a huge disproportion of dogs to the homes that want them. So naturally the dogs are either killed or given to a charity. In a sanctuary they either languish in kennels until they are homed or old, or they are put down to make way for new dogs coming in. It isn't perfect, and it isn't even close to being good.

At last we are reaching a bit of common ground.

Improvements need to be made yes.

Banning greyhound racing will not help the breed.

Thats one kennel.

Look it up, I have and theres more than one.

It isn't cut and dried as you seem to want to think.

The tracks fund nowhere near enough and you know that - if you think its a sufficient amount then you know nothing about the industry

The tracks fund nowhere near enough and you know that - if you think its a sufficient amount then you know nothing about the industry

Read my post saying improvements need to be made.

Or do you just want to have a dig at selective posts?

Impress with my jargon?? Good Lord! Is that the best you can do?

As a sport its dying on its feet, Walthamstow and Portsmouth have closed, betting has experienced a £3.5 million reduction in the last 2 years (about 15-20%), there are 14% fewer registered trainers and attendance is dropping (GRA recorded a 15% drop in attendance last year). The industry is collapsing. I personally hope to see it die out in my lifetime

The stadiums which are not doing well will close, just like the boozers have, people start to like different things, and business's have to use common sense.

Theres always the nucleus who will still follow what they believe in.

All the tracks what are doing well will simply branch out like they do anyway.

Greyhound racing is still loved by many many people.

The stadiums which are not doing well will close, just like the boozers have people start to like different things.

But theres always the nucleus who will still follow what they believe in.

All the tracks what are doing well will simply branch out like they do anyway.

Greyhound racing is still loved by many many people.

Then lets hope they "branch out" into ventures that don't support animal cruelty. The sport, currently, is dying, and thats a good thing

Read my post saying improvements need to be made.

Or do you just want to have a dig at selective posts?

No I don't want to have a dig at selective posts, I want to point out that no matter what gloss is put on it, the greyhound racing industry is responsible for the deaths of approximately 12,000 dogs per year. That would take a fair amount of "improvement" to rectify, don't you think?

Archived