Malawi gay couple pardoned by President

I can't find the thread that discussed this case, so I'll post afresh.

The couple who were sentenced to 12 years' imprisonment in Malawi for the heinous, unspeakable crime of "being homosexuals" have been officially pardoned by President Bingu wa Matharika, who ordered their immediate release.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/10190653.stm

A small step in the right direction, at least; the President himself apparently believes homosexuality to be wrong, but isn't prepared to see people in jail for it.

(Unless, of course, he's only freeing this particular couple because the UN is on his back...)

what happened to the original thread on this?

I did a perfunctory search for thread titles that included "malawi" or "gay couple jail" but didn't find it. It may be no more than five or six pages back, but there's a limit to how hard I am prepared to hunt.

If anyone does find it, report this thread and include a link to the old thread, so they can be merged.

it got deleted at some point - disappeared off the face of the planet - dark forces at work? :suspect:

More like the homophobic trolling.

Nice to know those that with some glee were saying that international messages of support and protest would be ineffective have been proven wrong.

Archived