Car help needed re: possible thrust bearing problem..

Hello

My diesel corsa recently started making a horrible, rattly, overly-grumbly noise when the engine is on, more noticeable when car still (probably as less background noise though), noise goes when I press clutch pedal. From reading around it seems it may be the thrust bearing...

Any ideas how this has happened (only had car a few weeks), what causes it?

Also how easy/hard is it to change and how much are we talking for parts?

Help appreciated.

:)

Hello

My diesel corsa recently started making a horrible, rattly, overly-grumbly noise when the engine is on, more noticeable when car still (probably as less background noise though), noise goes when I press clutch pedal. From reading around it seems it may be the thrust bearing...

Any ideas how this has happened (only had car a few weeks), what causes it?

Also how easy/hard is it to change and how much are we talking for parts?

Help appreciated.

:)

Hmm, with the clutch disengaged (pedal pressed), the thrust bearing is doing its job - i would have expected the noise to continue

To me, sounds more like the input shaft bearing on the gearbox

Even if it was the thrust bearing, it's still a gearbox off job to change it - only the clutch can be changed with the box in situ.

Sorry, but it's probably going to be expensive

If its the thrust bearing best to change the entire clutch it can be done without removing the gearbox and at least you will be satisfied your clutch is ok,as for price it all depends where you go and the cost of the clutch rough estimate ,unless you go somewhere like mr clutch etc £200 thats what I paid for a full Serena clutch and fitted

Nice!!!! How expensive are we talking? ARRRGGGHHHH had the damn thing 3 months. Thanks for the help :)

First thing to do i would say, is take it to a reputable clutch place (search on here, there's been other threads about it)..Best case scenario is that they think it is the thrust bearing and the car needs a new clutch kit - a couple of hours work if you have a set of ramps and can pull the gearbox far enough apart from underneath - probably a couple of hundred pounds worth.

If it's the shaft bearing, it's gunna be a whole lot more

I wouldn't take my advice as gospel though - i'm just speaking from personal experience, get it down a clutch place or garage!

Archived