Please help redundancy re-employment advise

i think in this present situation this is going to be the norm soon turning our workforce into (agency) workers . i dont think this new government will do anything about it thou ? sorry not to be helpful but i think this is going to be an on going thing when different employers jump on the bandwagon

while they extended greater protection and rights to them the previous government didn't do a great deal about the increasing number of agency workers in the workforce.

i think there will be increasing demands for agency workers to be treated as proper employees of the agency with all the rights that goes with that. employment status is decided by the common law not statute so all that's needed is a change in how judges and tribunals interpret the various contracts.

while they extended greater protection and rights to them the previous government didn't do a great deal about the increasing number of agency workers in the workforce.

i think there will be increasing demands for agency workers to be treated as proper employees of the agency with all the rights that goes with that. employment status is decided by the common law not statute so all that's needed is a change in how judges and tribunals interpret the various contracts.

so the previous government got it wrong so imo this new government should do the opposite and do something about it but again imo they wont .i will give you an example of some of the agencies i have worked for the agency sets you on while the work is there .holiday pay was a extra pound an hour on top of the going rate . my hourly rate plus the holiday pay and what they charge the employer for my services must come to more than what i would have earnt employed directly. i not got any figures for what an agency charges employers so if anyone knows feel free to enlighten me . will banks be lending money to all these agency workers in the long term with no job security ?

so the previous government got it wrong so imo this new government should do the opposite and do something about it but again imo they wont .i will give you an example of some of the agencies i have worked for the agency sets you on while the work is there .holiday pay was a extra pound an hour on top of the going rate . my hourly rate plus the holiday pay and what they charge the employer for my services must come to more than what i would have earnt employed directly. i not got any figures for what an agency charges employers so if anyone knows feel free to enlighten me . will banks be lending money to all these agency workers in the long term with no job security ?

there is a need, and there always will be a need, for temporary staff and agency workers are one of the ways a company can use to fill that need. there is nothing to stop a company hiring temporary staff directly but many don't because its easier for them to let an agency find the people, deal with the HR and payroll stuff.

if companies were unhappy about paying for agency workers they wouldn't use them but for some the extra they pay is worth it for the flexibility they get.

at some point, there will be demands for greater regulation of the agency business and it will eventually reach a point where the government, of whatever flavour, can't ignore those demands.

the simplest thing would be for the agency workers to be treated as proper employees of the agency and that could be done quite easily.

there is a need, and there always will be a need, for temporary staff and agency workers are one of the ways a company can use to fill that need. there is nothing to stop a company hiring temporary staff directly but many don't because its easier for them to let an agency find the people, deal with the HR and payroll stuff.

if companies were unhappy about paying for agency workers they wouldn't use them but for some the extra they pay is worth it for the flexibility they get.

at some point, there will be demands for greater regulation of the agency business and it will eventually reach a point where the government, of whatever flavour, can't ignore those demands.

the simplest thing would be for the agency workers to be treated as proper employees of the agency and that could be done quite easily.

i hope your right but im not holding my breath just yet

If the above is correct and the job is still there and therefore they cannot make the OP’s OH redundant, then would that translate to the being made redundant and being replaced by a junior member of staff in the same department doing your job?

Archived