Pub Work - Cash In Hand

Atween 1970 -75 my mates and me frequented The Albert. We all drank Whitbread Trophy so we would meet in The Minerva then off to The Nelson, Barley Corn (Jim and Pat Finch), then The Albert, followed by the Foresters (first pub i ever drank in - Bill and Maggie Stewart had it) and the Raven, we didnt go in the Prince of Wales because it was like a funeral parlour. I often called in The Albert straight from work (Globe and Simpson) when the pub opened at 5.30pm. and enjoyed playing the pinball machine (doozy) next to the window on the Division Street side. One day the landlord Doug (and Beryl) asked me if I wanted to be glass collector and washer and when he told me the perks of the job I couldn't refuse. The deal was £1.50 per night (fri - sat), 3 pints after work, a taxi home to Crossland Drive, Gleadless Townend, and any sandwiches left over Wow! If I rightly remember it was something like 14 pence a pint in them days. I also got a yellow t-shirt with Stella Artois in big letters across the chest and I was there approx. 3 months. The Albert had perhaps the best juke box in town with artistes like Focus, Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Free, David Bowie, Karen Young, T-Rex and Rolf Harris etc although The Minerva, Nelson and Whetstone too had good jukeboxes.

Archived