Why do people plant huge trees in small gardens!!

Why oh why do people plant huge trees in their small gardens??? please enlighten me as i'm just about to go out and take a chainsaw to my neighbours 2 huge beech trees:rant: i live in a terraced house in hillsborough where the gardens originally used to be shared, now most people have fenced off their half so, as you can imagine the gardens are quite small. What does my neighbour do a number of years ago, plant 2 beech trees at the end of his bit, one each side and of course the tree trunks are right upto the boundry fence.

Now I not only live in permanant shade, have grass that struggles to grow in the summer and is mostly moss in the winter but also most of the work in my small garden is tidying up beech leaves and sawing off branches to try and get a bit of sunlight.

I love trees I really do but why not plant appropriate to the size of the garden?

I would think that the trees they plant aren't that big, at the time of planting, and then they grow?

guess you are right but don't people realise they grow? Bought from a garden centre it will have a little label on it that says something like; Beech Height 60'. So you buy 2 to put in your 20' x 15' garden? These are still young and tower over the house at the end of the garden and I guess the roots are firmly established under their foundations.

Tell me about it ..... the house behind us has FOUR :loopy: massive trees in their garden that are higher than the houses and out of control!!

We get sun until about mid day and then nothing until 5/6 in the evening :(

When we moved in we built a patio and when the leaves dropped off the four trees everything got covered in tree gunge :gag:

Also.....LOTS AND LOTS OF BIRDS which = lots and lots of bird poo :o

Not good :(. We are looking into paying for one of those long reach cutter things, although I dont think it should be us having to maintain the stupid things as they arnt even on our garden :rant:

But if it means I get sun for more of the day then I suppose its the only thing we can do :)

Tell me about it ..... the house behind us has FO massive trees in their garden that are higher than the houses and out of control!!

We get sun until about mid day and then nothing until 5/6 in the evening :(

When we moved in we built a patio and when the leaves dropped off the four trees everything got covered in tree gunge

Also.....LOTS AND LOTS OF BIRDS which = lots and lots of bird poo :o

Not good :(. We are looking into paying for one of those long reach cutter things, although I dont think it should be us having to maintain the stupid things as they aren't even on our garden

But if it means I get sun for more of the day then I suppose its the only thing we can do :)

I have got two massive trees at the bottom of my garden ,they are on waste land . I emailed the council to see if they could , trim them down a bit , because i dont get any sun in a my garden ,at first they told me "it wasn't their land" , but eventually gave in and chopped the tops off. That was 3 years ago , now they have grown even taller , the council wont do anything about it this time :huh:, me thinks i will after invest in a chainsaw The Leylandii in my neighbours garden may succumb to the same fate too :suspect:

:roll:If only i had the guts :roll:

We have a cherry tree in our neighbours garden which is about 5ft from the boundary. When we moved into our house it wasn't to high/broad but it's now 25ft plus high (its been pruned twice) and growing over the boundary. What is worse is the suckers/offsprings that have appeared in our neighbours garden. They now block the view that was one of the main reasons for buying the house !

I planted some beech trees in the front garden many years ago and they make a great hedge - but I trim them regularly so they don't take over.

It's really all down to maintaing your garden and being neighbourly.

Fast growing conifers are the worst, particularly when planted as a hedge. Within a few years they are tall, ugly and oppressive. Plus people never plant them so they cut light out of their property!

They'd definately be one of my candidates for Room 101 along with unnecessary 4x4 vehicles and UPVC doors & windows.

I live in Hillsborough and so have one of small said gardens. A few years ago I planted a 'dwarf' eucalpitus tree - unfortunately it is no longer dwarf and so i am at the other end of this discussion. Sometimes we do things innocently that end up being a problem for us and others.

Archived