Why should my OH take offence to what I said?

In The Female Eunuch, Germaine Greer said something along the lines that if a woman asks a man if she's gained weight and he says 'yes but it doesn't bother me, I love you anyway', then if she is happy with that answer she is truly liberated.

If women want to be free of the tyranny of having to look a certain way, they shouldn't complain when men are happy to accept them as they are. In my view.

Because you implied that you love her in spite of her looks!

I told her that I do not love her because she is beautiful, that in no way implied that she is less than beautiful. That, I would suggest, is merely your interpretation of what I said!

Saying 'you're beautiful because I love you' suggests that if you didn't love her, she wouldn't be beautiful and the only reason you think she is beautiful is because you are blinded by love :shocked:. :o You've made a right booboo. :hihi:

I have read that 5 times now in order to try and understand it. I have reached the conclusion that it makes less sense every time I read it. Guess it must be a "woman thing"

:roll:

In The Female Eunuch, Germaine Greer said something along the lines that if a woman asks a man if she's gained weight and he says 'yes but it doesn't bother me, I love you anyway', then if she is happy with that answer she is truly liberated.

If women want to be free of the tyranny of having to look a certain way, they shouldn't complain when men are happy to accept them as they are. In my view.

Excellent post. I think some women may expect reaffirmation of their own delusions about whether they live up to the manufactured ideals of the culture industry. I don't think the degree of sensitivity we see today among women regarding their appearance is natural at all. The field of sexology has a lot to say about how modern gender roles are formed - more from without rather than within.

Saying 'you're beautiful because I love you' suggests that if you didn't love her, she wouldn't be beautiful and the only reason you think she is beautiful is because you are blinded by love :shocked:. :o You've made a right booboo. :hihi:

He could have taken a line from

The attraction was purely physical :hihi:

I told her that I do not love her because she is beautiful, that in no way implied that she is less than beautiful. That, I would suggest, is merely your interpretation of what I said!

It is how she interpreted it, hence her reaction!

Excellent post. I think some women may expect reaffirmation of their own delusions about whether they live up to the manufactured ideals of the culture industry. I don't think the degree of sensitivity we see today among women regarding their appearance is natural at all. The field of sexology has a lot to say about how modern gender roles are formed - more from without rather than within.

I agree with you there and it is that very parodoxical nature of women that we try to wrestle with in a culture which is looks obsessed and prizes beauty above all else.

This is interesting reading on the hypersexualisation of our culture and the pernicious effect it has on shaping girls' thinking and behaviour:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/jan/31/living-dolls-natasha-walter

A word of advice. You're better off saying something along the lines 'I love you for your beautiful mind and physical beauty'. Don't ever or imply to a woman that you love either in the absence of the other!

Or keep your mouth shut altogether until as such time she asks you to open it...:D

He could have taken a line from

The attraction was purely physical :hihi:

WOW. That guy can still do it!.....I still have "Never a dull moment" and "Every picture tells a story" on vinyl, but keep it to yourself!:suspect:

Archived