Pothole damage to cars - who pays?

Just a thought, on the back of a news item today on the number of claims for car damage. British roads have been deteriorating for many years. Because of this, some people have changed to roughty-toughty 4 x 4s (or faux x faux). Now, if someone chooses to buy and drive a new car with low profile tyred alloys, despite the knowledge that the roads are in bad condition, isn't it their own problem if they damage their wheels and suspension? Surely its up to them to buy a car suitable for the conditions in which they intend to drive.

Just a thought, on the back of a news item today on the number of claims for car damage. British roads have been deteriorating for many years. Because of this, some people have changed to roughty-toughty 4 x 4s (or faux x faux). Now, if someone chooses to buy and drive a new car with low profile tyred alloys, despite the knowledge that the roads are in bad condition, isn't it their own problem if they damage their wheels and suspension? Surely its up to them to buy a car suitable for the conditions in which they intend to drive.

I quite agree. If we see an increase in 4x4 cars then we only have our local councils to blame. Good roads= enviromentally friendly cars (shame the 4x4 mob out of them); Bad roads=crap on the environment as no one can blame people from buying 4x4 when they get their suspension smashed up.

I really think it is time for central government to get tough on local government with regard to road spending i.e. they should make them account for so much out of the budget to put right the roads. Everyone may cry well that's not democratic, but honestly i don't care a carrot. I pay a lot to drive on the roads & they aren't fit for purpose. If i go out in my car I spend money, creating jobs & benefiiting the economy. If the roads damage my car, i stay in, keep the money in the bank & jobs are lost. SIMPLES!!!

The number of driven wheels doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how environmentally friendly or otherwise the car is.

Bad roads could contribute to pollution however as people can't make good progress along them. I know my car is more economical driven along at 50 than having to creep and dodge potholes at 30, continually having to speed up and slow down.

But aside from that, I do agree. My car is slightly lowered and I do have firm sports suspension on there (not particularly low profile tyres though not on these roads! I value my spine!!). If if sustained pothole damage I'd just suck it up and pay for it to be fixed (I would regardless of what car I was driving, I think suing the council is just taking money away from where it needs to go)

I would report the pothole to the council though along with pictures of the damage, in the hopes that it would get fixed and not cause the same problem for someone else.

If you can find one huge pothole and prove it damaged your car, the council will eventually pay out.

But that is almost never the case. The damage is caused by the literally thousands of smaller, less important (to the council) pot-holes doing small amounts of damage, which over time results in even more damage to cars. The council know you can’t point at one pot-hole and blame that for the damage, therefore you cannot claim against them.

For that very reason of the roads being in such a poor state, I certainly intend my next vehicle to be a 4x4. If somebody was to go down my road in a Lambougini, there wouldn't be much left of the suspension by the bottom of the road. I wouldn't blame them for driving a Lambougini though, the roads should be maintained fit for their intended purpose.

Does anybody have any success stories of sueing the council for pot hole damage?

Google Section 58 Highways Act, and you'll see why, despite the stories in the media, very few claims against the council succeed.

The number of driven wheels doesn't necessarily have anything to do with how environmentally friendly or otherwise the car is.

Bad roads could contribute to pollution however as people can't make good progress along them. I know my car is more economical driven along at 50 than having to creep and dodge potholes at 30, continually having to speed up and slow down.

But aside from that, I do agree. My car is slightly lowered and I do have firm sports suspension on there (not particularly low profile tyres though not on these roads! I value my spine!!). If if sustained pothole damage I'd just suck it up and pay for it to be fixed (I would regardless of what car I was driving, I think suing the council is just taking money away from where it needs to go)

I would report the pothole to the council though along with pictures of the damage, in the hopes that it would get fixed and not cause the same problem for someone else.

Think you may find that arguement flawed. If a car has only 2 driven wheels it usually has one gearbox & combined diff,through which it powers through 2 driveshafts & 2 wheels bearings. 4 wheel drive may have a gearbox & possibly 2 diffs (transfer box) & prop shaft & 4 wheel bearings. There is a lot more resistance & power lost through the extra diff / prop / universal joints & bearings, (hence less environmentally friendly than a 2 wheel drive vehicle) but the upside is that 4x4 usually have off road suspension capable of putting up with the crap road surfaces, & put down the power more stable on uneven road surfaces. Try doing a steep uphill start on a badly potholed road in 2 wheel drive & then 4 wheel drive...you'll see the benefits believe me!

Archived