Expenses scandal - Now it's Danny Alexander's turn

perhaps, but this is an old story which was ignored at the time because everyone was focussed on labour and the conservatives and while we might thing it immoral its not actually against the rules

Which part of it are we supposed to think is immoral?

Up until 2006, he only owned one house. He then bought a second, and one year later sold the first.

Capital gains tax is not due on such a sale. That's why he didn't pay it. If you sell a property within three years of it having been your main (or in this case, only!) property, there is no CGT.

Which part of it are we supposed to think is immoral?

Up until 2006, he only owned one house. He then bought a second, and one year later sold the first.

Capital gains tax is not due on such a sale. That's why he didn't pay it. If you sell a property within three years of it having been your main (or in this case, only!) property, there is no CGT.

I think the problem lies in having designated the property as his second home in order to benefit from parliamentary expenses, whilst claiming it was his main home in order to avoid paying CGT.

I think the problem lies in having designated the property as his second home in order to benefit from parliamentary expenses, whilst claiming it was his main home in order to avoid paying CGT.

He didn't claim it was his main home. Up until 2006, it was his only home.

not sure if the tories would walk it though, they have hardly proved themselves as being fit to govern and the perception that they are taking advantage of labour's disarray and as having "their media" tear into the libdems would likely harden the other parties support.

if a snap election was held then i can't really see any party doing particularly better than they did last time except that any sort of coalition option would be out of the window, we'd end up with a fragile government, a sterling crisis, a sovereign debt crisis and economic destruction.

I think the Lib Dems are already lost. I seriously do.Think it would be almost a straight fight between Labour and the Tories on a platform of one party providing strong national government. I think the Tories would gain a workable majority.

Guest sibon

Whilst being a member of a party that wants to increase CGT and abolish the loophole that he took advantage of.

Immoral, certainly. Illegal, no. A reason for losing his job... let's hope not, the Lib Dems only have 57 MPs :)

You're quite right andyofborg, which is I why I said they were cavalier over how they interpreted the rules. It had been a stated LibDem policy to close this particular 'loophole', so one of their number taking advantage of it is likely to be heavily criticised.

indeed, but it is, when all is said and done this is soo last parliament. it's time fill in the chip on the shoulder's and move on to new things.

we should also not forget that there is no moral to the telegraph's actions except to increase their sales.

If some over optimistic people are right and an election is called quickly (which i doubt) will labour be in any position to fight....as they are still searching for a leader.....who will then have to choose a new team, as it seems some major people have returned to the back benches, and then he will have to mould the team and sort out any niggles.....will they have time?

Guest sibon
indeed, but it is, when all is said and done this is soo last parliament. it's time fill in the chip on the shoulder's and move on to new things.

we should also not forget that there is no moral to the telegraph's actions except to increase their sales.

I'm not sure that it is that simple. There are those in the Tory party that want the coalition to fail. These are a mixture of the old right wing and those with slim majorities over Labour. I think that we are witnessing the battle for the very soul of the Conservative Party, orchestrated by it's loudest and oldest voice.

I think that we are witnessing the battle for the very soul of the Conservative Party, orchestrated by it's loudest and oldest voice.

Assuming that you're right; the fact they are resorting to inventing claims of immoral behaviour where there has not been any, strongly suggests that they already know they are losing.

I partly agree, but the notion of sweeping things like this under the carpet shouldn't apply just because we like LibDem politics (which I do).

Parliament needs to re-establish the confidence of the public, that supercedes the interests of individual MP's or parties, in my opinion.

Archived