52% of motorists don't understand traffic lights

This is a bit of a shocker. The majority of us motorists don't see red.

From the Telegraph

More than half of British drivers 'colour blind' to red traffic lights

52 per cent cannot see a red stop light coming when signals at junctions and pedestrian crossings are on amber.

A survey of 1,000 motorists reveals that 39 per cent incorrectly expect a green light to be next in sequence after amber.

A further seven per cent think that green and amber lights will appear simultaneously – a combination that never occurs – and six per cent suppose it will be the red and amber signal.

Road safety experts are concerned that only 48 per cent of the UK's 36 million drivers know the answer to a question routinely asked in driving theory tests and suggest that this could explain high accident rates at pedestrian crossings.

Government statistics indicate that 19 per cent of pedestrians knocked down whilst crossing the road were on a crossing and a further 12 per cent were within 50 metres of one.

The Department for Transport figures for 2008 – the latest available – say drivers failing to look properly were to blame for 21 per cent of all pedestrian accidents and seven per cent were caused by careless or reckless motorists or those in a hurry.

Living Streets – formerly the Pedestrian Association – called for a clampdown on drivers running red lights along with a Government campaign on pedestrian road safety.

Speaking to experienced drivers daily, I don't find too many that don't know the light sequence. What I do find, though, is a range of responses to what amber on its own after green means. I have ceased to be surprised at the majority of drivers not treating this amber as meaning "stop unless it is unsafe to do so" and treating it as a signal to put your foot down, it's OK no harm will come of it

In my book, IF we treat amber as meaning Stop! we may need to carry on with 36 tonnes close behind us or another driver in our boot, being simply too close to the line to stop on occasions but we are never going to see red as we go through. Seeing a green light ahead from some distance, knowing it's likely to change (it's a stale green light rather than fresh green light) and easing off a touch rather than accelerating also helps!

Speaking to experienced drivers daily, I don't find too many that don't know the light sequence. What I do find, though, is a range of responses to what amber on its own after green means. I have ceased to be surprised at the majority of drivers not treating this amber as meaning "stop unless it is unsafe to do so" and treating it as a signal to put your foot down, it's OK no harm will come of it

In my book, IF we treat amber as meaning Stop! we may need to carry on with 36 tonnes close behind us or another driver in our boot, being simply too close to the line to stop on occasions but we are never going to see red as we go through. Seeing a green light ahead from some distance, knowing it's likely to change (it's a stale green light rather than fresh green light) and easing off a touch rather than accelerating also helps!

but then i wont get to where i want to be as quick

but then i wont get to where i want to be as quick

... and the illusion of the extra progress you've made in the typical urban scenario is shattered if you care to check behind/around you at the next or next but one set of lights and find the people around you now are those you thought you'd left behind a few minutes ago.

Ralge goes for his copy of "the hare and the tortoise."

What happens when traffic lights are down? I am sure the statistic for not knowing what to do is far greater.

Do you

a) just plow on in and hope for the best

b) quiver at the roadside because you've not come across this before

c) treat like a normal junction, roundabout

I think they should turn all traffic lights off from 10pm till 6 am

Why is it a bit of a shocker?

Have you not seen how full of numpties the roads are?No wonder we all have to be treated like idiots but it is The fault of the authorities with their speed is all campains.Speed is not the cause of most accidents,speed is just a good earner,when the attitude towards that changes and the real causes are dealt with then so will road safety.

There is a very very simple answer.Retest all drivers perodically.

Archived