Lowering springs

It depends on what are you hoping to achieve. Ford spent hours and hours making your car an excellent compromise between ride comfort and handling. I guess you want better handling if you are talking about shorter springs? Are you going to change anything else?

It depends on what are you hoping to achieve. Ford spent hours and hours making your car an excellent compromise between ride comfort and handling. I guess you want better handling if you are talking about shorter springs? Are you going to change anything else?

it is just the standard lx model so doesnt have sport suspension fitted, and has its the lx model it didnt come with alloys, and without alloys looks crap. i bought 18' alloys recently, they look nice but there is a big gap between arch and wheel so deffinatley needs lowering to look better, but want comfort as well lol, im not bothered about handling as it handles good already and im not a boy racer :hihi: and i know someone will state i wont get comfort on these roads anyhow, which i totaly agree :D

You should really replace the shocks and springs for best results.

I have a 30mm drop on my car, with Eibach springs and Koni gas top adjustable sports shocks. Ride is firm, handles great, looks the dog's proverbials! :cool:

Going TOO low will adversely affect the handling and also looks rather silly, and can cause problems if you ever need to load up your car with luggage/passengers! That's why I went for just the 30mm drop.

You need to watch out for scrubbing though with larger wheels AND a drop, check the clearance between the tyres and the arches to make sure they won't catch. Assuming the 18's you chose are of the correct fitment in terms of offset (that is the ET number) and width though it should be ok.

I'd probably get yourself onto a Ford or Mondeo forum though as there'd be people on there who'll have tried and tested suspension set ups who can advise better!

I like seeing cars lowered, some can look mint. I don't want to be the bore here, but before you lower it, consider the roads now, with the holes, bumps and rough surfaces it might do more damage, and the ride would be appauling with regards to comfort. Lowering springs and 18's make for a rippingly hard ride lol.

If you do get it done though, post pics I'd like to see it :D

What vwkittie says - I have 30mm drops on my little car, largely because the Eibachs were cheaper than the OEM part by a long way. I didn't replace the shocks though, I only did the springs because one had cracked.

Anyway, the ride even with the standard wheels, is pretty hard and bouncy now. It'd no doubt be quicker around a track, but on roads it was better with the 'proper' springs.

Surely if your wheels have the same radius as before the gap at the top of the wheel arch is the same as it ever was? Or is it just more obvious now?

If you do change them, don't forget to tell your insurance company. The 30mm drop on mine didn't make my premium go up, but if I do crash it means they can't try and wriggle out of paying out.

Archived