Why are the Americans and media blaming BP for oil spill?

Yorkshire people :thumbsup:

Not southerners though. Maybe because London is so crowded they get like that because they almost live on top of each other

Oi!:mad: i'm a sotherner from the home counties and we are extremely friendly for the most part, i can only assume that you brought that northern chip on your shoulder with you when you visited us and got treated in the same way you treated others.

Also did you lose your sense of english geography when you moved to the usa because you appear to think london is the south of england, londoners are on the whole not overly friendly but that is because it is not the stable population it once was. You will very rarely meet a real londoner in london most are immigrants from other areas of the coutry or other countries for that matter.

Like Southern hospitality here I guess its Northern hospitality there.
Just try driving in Georgia on a Connecticut license plate!! The folks were friendly though, except for some pickup trucks with gun racks and confie flags.:)

It depends where you go. I daresay your wife would have received exactly the same reaction had she walked around New York randomly saying "have a good day" to everyone she met.

It's the same in the UK, people in Sheffield (and the North in general) are much more friendly than those in London. It's the nature of a big city.

I live near NYC, and think it tends to get a bad rap. Sure its brash and behaves tough, but thats all part of the city act. Get to know them and they're a lot of fun at times. Its a geat place to go, and I 'm fortunate.:)

Could anyone please tell me what this post's about? Just read all six pages and forgotten what it's initially meant to be. Oil leaks, Americans, English, French, lawnmowers, WW2, backbiting etc....!

Ok ... here goes...

FOR SALE :

Collection of assorted Fray Bentos pie tins,

Assorted flavours,

Very clean,

Useful for scientific experiments,

Apply here :)

This morning on the news there was talk of using a controlled nuclear explosion to seal the well. Jeeeez ! What next? The CEO of BP has also finally admitted that BP were not prepared for a situation of this kind.

The oil slick is nearing Pensacola beach in Florida. I've been to Florida several times. Their beaches and shorlines are pristine, full of wild life but not for much longer.

People are not only mad at BP but also at Obama. Some critics have accused him of not being "mad enough about it" as if a show of theatrics would help in any way But as he said "If standing on the roof of the White House and screaming my head off would do anything to help then I would do it"

Oi!:mad: i'm a sotherner from the home counties and we are extremely friendly for the most part, i can only assume that you brought that northern chip on your shoulder with you when you visited us and got treated in the same way you treated others.

Also did you lose your sense of english geography when you moved to the usa because you appear to think london is the south of england, londoners are on the whole not overly friendly but that is because it is not the stable population it once was. You will very rarely meet a real londoner in london most are immigrants from other areas of the coutry or other countries for that matter.

When i had to move from Sheffield to down south with the family as a teenager it was almost like moving into another culture. The people although not unfriendly were to me stiff and somewhat stodgy not to mention reserved.

Back then a lot of stage comedians in that part of England used to put on fake northern accents and poke fun at northeners with the implication that we were all some kind of backward bumpkins.

I took a great liking to London however and still think it's one of the most un-boring cities in the world. I've been back for visits quite a few times since moving to the US and it's still a great place to spend a vacation. The impression I cant help getting however is that it is suffering from some kind of "tourist burnout" probably due to the millions of overseas visitors who descend on it every summer. The service in restaurants can be indifferent, the servers seem to get flustered and impatient at times. Pubs are the same and some of the bartenders almost look like they'd wish you would just bu**er off.

Those kind of people wouldn't last long in similar jobs over here, the rule being if dealing with endless numbers of tourists gets you down then move onto another line of work

I've done a lot of traveling across the US and Canada over many years, stayed in hotels. motels, eaten in restaurants from 4 star to Mom and Pop greasy spoons and yet have not experienced rudeness or indifferent service in one single instance either in large cities or remote rural areas.

I haven't experienced New York city yet so that might be another story

When i had to move from Sheffield to down south with the family as a teenager it was almost like moving into another culture. The people although not unfriendly were to me stiff and somewhat stodgy not to mention reserved.

Back then a lot of stage comedians in that part of England used to put on fake northern accents and poke fun at northeners with the implication that we were all some kind of backward bumpkins.

I took a great liking to London however and still think it's one of the most un-boring cities in the world. I've been back for visits quite a few times since moving to the US and it's still a great place to spend a vacation. The impression I cant help getting however is that it is suffering from some kind of "tourist burnout" probably due to the millions of overseas visitors who descend on it every summer. The service in restaurants can be indifferent, the servers seem to get flustered and impatient at times. Pubs are the same and some of the bartenders almost look like they'd wish you would just bu**er off.

Those kind of people wouldn't last long in similar jobs over here, the rule being if dealing with endless numbers of tourists gets you down then move onto another line of work

I've done a lot of traveling across the US and Canada over many years, stayed in hotels. motels, eaten in restaurants from 4 star to Mom and Pop greasy spoons and yet have not experienced rudeness or indifferent service in one single instance either in large cities or remote rural areas.

I haven't experienced New York city yet so that might be another story

They love your money in NYC, just like anywhere else. The waitresses are great wisecrackers. They do things for tips, of course. There are no fixed service charges in the US. You tip good service for what you get, usually between 15 and 20%, but if you get rudeness, they usaully get a quarter (25c) from me. That's very seldom.:)

... it isn't nice. Rhymes with Witch.
Did buck just call me a witch? :o I once got banned for 24 hours for saying that about someone, and she actually was a witch :D

We know so much about buck and Harleyman's deprived, misunderstand and colourful early lives now before they arrived in a better place. Barbara Taylor Bradford could probably use it as material for one of her blockbusters :D

*crosses fingers and calls Pax!*

They love your money in NYC, just like anywhere else. The waitresses are great wisecrackers. They do things for tips, of course. There are no fixed service charges in the US. You tip good service for what you get, usually between 15 and 20%, but if you get rudeness, they usaully get a quarter (25c) from me. That's very seldom.:)

We prefer to pay them wages, rather than force them to perform for & beg from customers.

We prefer to pay them wages, rather than force them to perform for & beg from customers.

How much does the average waiter or watress make in wages in Britain nowadays?

I hope it's substantial as people in the UK aren'r known for generous tips

I remember back in my day a lot of them were grumpy old gals who liked to snap 'I'll get to you when I can"

Archived