Why are the Americans and media blaming BP for oil spill?

I remember reading somewhere that due to the Vulcan's delta wing and the amount of lift it continued to create, even at really high altitudes, it could out manoeuvre any fighter that was sent up to intercept it.

Indeed. - Providing there was only one fighter. Vulcan crews had a BTR (Basic Training Requirement) to carry out periodic 'Fighter Affiliation'. It wasn't done at very high altitudes - that would've been pointless, because the fighters couldn't make it up there - but at more 'usual' altitude the Vulcan could always out-manoeuvre a single fighter. If there were a number of fighters, they had a lot of fuel and if they worked well together, they might get you.

The first time that the Vulcans (and the Buccaneers) took part in Red Flag (1977) both aircraft did rather better against the fighters than had been expected.

Ground to air missiles, now that's another matter, and as such just like the American BUF, it was planned to be reconfigured for a stand off missile role. Unfortunately this missile never came in the service life of the Vulcan.

The Vulcan had Blue Steel (a 'wet' fuelled missile which used Hi-test Peroxide and Kerosene - and was a very nasty bit of kit to be around!) Blue Steel was due to be replaced by Blue Streak, which was cancelled in favour of Skybolt. I understand that Skybolt itself did have problems, but it too was cancelled (possibly for political reasons.)

The Soviet MIG-15 had a service ceiling of just over 50,000 feet and was superior in performance to the US Starfighter and even the F-86. I dont see how any bomber could climb to any altiitude you name to escape such a fighter.

The American fighter pilots however were better trained and because of that had a high kill ratio against the MIG and their North Korean pilots

We have a Mig 15 sitting in Bradley Air Museum, just up the road from me, along with a beautifully restored B 29. The cream of the crop is a Pan American Sikorsky flying boat from before WW2, restored by Sikorsky Aircraft of Stratford, Connecticut and donated to the state.

I remember reading somewhere that due to the Vulcan's delta wing and the amount of lift it continued to create, even at really high altitudes, it could out manoeuvre any fighter that was sent up to intercept it.

Ground to air missiles, now that's another matter, and as such just like the American BUF, it was planned to be reconfigured for a stand off missile role. Unfortunately this missile never came in the service life of the Vulcan.

I remember watching a Vulcan do aerobatics at Farnborough back in the late fifties, where my own squadron No. 800 NAS was scheduled to carry out a 9 aircraft formation aerobatic routine in Hawker Seahawk Mk.4s. On that day the RAF outdid us with 22 Hawker Hunters, the most beautiful jet fighter ever made.. Those were the days.:)

The first time that the Vulcans (and the Buccaneers) took part in Red Flag (1977) both aircraft did rather better against the fighters than had been expected.

Sorry if I'm turning this into an aviation love-in.

I also remember reading that the subsonic Buccaneer was so stable when it was flying really low down, that it was could outrun other supersonic planes which had to throttle back when they flew really low.

A quote a remember reading from a former RAF Buck pilot when asked what he thinks could replace his plane when it was retired, he answered "only another Buccaneer."

LOL:hihi:

And if you type in 'Service ceiling Avro Vulcan' it will tell you that the Mk 2 had a service ceiling of 65,000ft. - Just a bit higher than that of a Fagot.

As I said in my previous post: "...Or alternatively, just climb higher to the places he couldn't reach..."

Hopefully the Vulcan had finished it's climb if it had to do so before it was spotted by the MIG

The MIG was no Fagot. It was a damned good fighter plane for it's time. Even American pilots whio flew captured MIGs admitted it including Chuck Yeager himself

[/b]

Hopefully the Vulcan had finished it's climb if it had to do so before it was spotted by the MIG

The MIG was no Fagot. It was a damned good fighter plane for it's time. Even American pilots whio flew captured MIGs admitted it including Chuck Yeager himself

The Mig-15 may not have literally been a fagot but it was called one, as the official NATO name for the Mig-15 was the Fagot, just like the F-86 was called a Sabre.

We have a Mig 15 sitting in Bradley Air Museum, just up the road from me, along with a beautifully restored B 29. The cream of the crop is a Pan American Sikorsky flying boat from before WW2, restored by Sikorsky Aircraft of Stratford, Connecticut and donated to the state.

There are also a couple of MIG 17s on display at a local airfield but not in flying condition. There is also a German Messerschmidt 262 also on display but likewise not in condition although there is talk of restoring it if the money can be raised

My son went to the air show at the El Toro Marine air base back in the late 90

That day a MIG and a Sabre F-86 were doing a flying display and the MIG did a loop, came in too low and crashed.

Fortunately it happened well away from the crowds.

The Mig-15 may not have literally been a fagot but it was called one, as the official NATO name for the Mig-15 was the Fagot, just like the F-86 was called a Sabre.

Strange name for a plane. Did NATO think the plane had any connection with a piece of firewood kindling?

Indeed. - Providing there was only one fighter. Vulcan crews had a BTR (Basic Training Requirement) to carry out periodic 'Fighter Affiliation'. It wasn't done at very high altitudes - that would've been pointless, because the fighters couldn't make it up there - but at more 'usual' altitude the Vulcan could always out-manoeuvre a single fighter. If there were a number of fighters, they had a lot of fuel and if they worked well together, they might get you.

The Vulcan had Blue Steel (a 'wet' fuelled missile which used Hi-test Peroxide and Kerosene - and was a very nasty bit of kit to be around!) Blue Steel was due to be replaced by Blue Streak, which was cancelled in favour of Skybolt. I understand that Skybolt itself did have problems, but it too was cancelled (possibly for political reasons.)

Are Vulcans still in service with the RAF?

Strange name for a plane. Did NATO think the plane had any connection with a piece of firewood kindling?

There was an opinion that whoever choose the early names for the Soviet aircraft for NATO choose mocking names on purpose.

Archived