Why are the Americans and media blaming BP for oil spill?

Are Vulcans still in service with the RAF?

They retired them in the mid 1980's after their "Operation Black Buck" raids on the Falklands. They were grounded in the early 1990's, but after intensive fund raising and work one was returned to flying status a couple of years ago.

First jet plane I saw as a kid of 7 or 8 was a Gloster Meteor streaking over the Yorkshire coast near Scarborough

Thought it was beautiful and awesome

My first memory was of a RAF Lightening taking off at an airshow. The pilot held it on the brakes for a short while whilst building up the throttle, and then it shot off down the runway, and then disappeared vertically straight up!

There was an opinion that whoever choose the early names for the Soviet aircraft for NATO choose mocking names on purpose.

The Russians built a lot of very good fighter planes and their pilots were also the equal of any enemy pilot as the Luftwaffe and the German army found out to their cost in WW2. The Soviet Yak was a formidable opponent of the Focke-Wulf 190 a first class fighter plane also

Their bombers however weren't the greatest and no match for the British or American

I didnt look that up on the net by the way :D

Sorry if I'm turning this into an aviation love-in.

I also remember reading that the subsonic Buccaneer was so stable when it was flying really low down, that it was could outrun other supersonic planes which had to throttle back when they flew really low.

A quote a remember reading from a former RAF Buck pilot when asked what he thinks could replace his plane when it was retired, he answered "only another Buccaneer."

The Buccaneer, built by Blsckburn started life as a naval strike aircraft. They were last flown at sea on HMS Ark Royal before the Harrier became the only fixed wing aircraft on carriers. The current Ark Royal could not have landed them. They were assigned to the RAF when it took over the Naval Air Station in Brawdy, Pembrokeshire. I remember seeing two of them landing at the USN station near Virginia Beach.

The Russians built a lot of very good fighter planes and their pilots were also the equal of any enemy pilot as the Luftwaffe and the German army found out to their cost in WW2. The Soviet Yak was a formidable opponent of the Focke-Wulf 190 a first class fighter plane also

Their bombers however weren't the greatest and no match for the British or American

I didnt look that up on the net by the way :D

The Russians were concentrating on missiles whilst the Americans were concentrating on furnishing SAC with bombers. This came more from necessity rather than any strategic plan, as the Americans had air bases circling Russia which made it far easier for them to bomb Russia and make it back home in the early days of the cold war.

My interest comes from my Dad who was an aerospace engineer.

My first memory was of a RAF Lightening taking off at an airshow. The pilot held it on the brakes for a short while whilst building up the throttle, and then it shot off down the runway, and then disappeared vertically straight up!

The Confederate Air Force (a group of rich Texan vintage plane enthusiasts) have restored a lot of the great old planes

They take the planes on tour flying them at airshows all over the country.

A small private airport near where I live occasionally offer trips up in a B-17 and a P-51 Mustang but at 500 dollars for 45 minutes or so that's a bit steep for my taste.

A few years back I saw a plane that on the outside looked just like a large Spitfire and apparently it was used by the Fleet Air Arm in WW2. I dont know if it was powered by the Merlin or not but it was a big powerful plane that made a hell of a racket when it flew across the field

Dont know what the name of it was though, maybe you, Rupert or buck might know

Probably a Sea Fury which was used post war really including quite a few jet kills in Korea. Has held the piston speed records for many years and basically is top dog in heavyweight air racing series. Google should be your friend if you want to know more.

Probably a Sea Fury which was used post war really. including quite a few jet kills in Korea. Has held the piston speed records for many years and basically is top dog in heavyweight air racing series. Google should be your friend if you want to know more.

The name sounds right. I know it was called a Sea something. I'm not surprised it's top dog in it's class. It looked like a real a*s kicker

Thanks

Probably a Sea Fury which was used post war really including quite a few jet kills in Korea. Has held the piston speed records for many years and basically is top dog in heavyweight air racing series. Google should be your friend if you want to know more.
I worked on Sea Furies, a beautiful beast of an aeroplane, but the radios were a bitch to get to, especially if you had to work your through a swarm of running props on the flight deck to get to a sick one. There are quite a few flying in the US where they give the P51s a run racing for the money. We need a thread where aviation enthusiasts can get together. I live and breathe flying.:):)

Archived