Why are the Americans and media blaming BP for oil spill?

I worked on Sea Furies, a beautiful beast of an aeroplane, but the radios were a bitch to get to, especially if you had to work your through a swarm of running props on the flight deck to get to a sick one. There are quite a few flying in the US where they give the P51s a run for the money. We need a thread where aviation enthusiasts can get together. I live and breathe flying.:):)

I think that 'loosely translates as "kicks their ass" ;) To be fair these aeroplanes are far removed from the original warbirds but what a tribute to the original engineering they are especially when you consider how they differ - the Sea Fury's radial donkey smashing through the air compared to the streamlined elegant efficiency of the P51.

I worked on Sea Furies, a beautiful beast of an aeroplane, but the radios were a bitch to get to, especially if you had to work your through a swarm of running props on the flight deck to get to a sick one. There are quite a few flying in the US where they give the P51s a run racing for the money. We need a thread where aviation enthusiasts can get together. I live and breathe flying.:):)

buck if ever you're over in the UK I recommend a visit to the Duxford aircraft museum. I cant praise that place enough. It has the biggestest collection of planes i've ever seen including the prototype Concord and also a fine collection of passenger planes.

One of them was the Bristol Brittania the first plane I flew in during my army service. Air trooped from Stansted in Essex to Singapore

Are Vulcans still in service with the RAF?

No. They were withdrawn from service in 1984. The Air Force kept one (XH 558 ) flying until 1992, then it too was grounded (budget considerations.) A private group got it flying again (thanks to very many generous people.) It flew displays in 2008 and 2009 and -with luck - will fly a few this year.

Strange name for a plane. Did NATO think the plane had any connection with a piece of firewood kindling?

No more than they thought that the MiG-19 'Farmer' was an agricultural aircraft.

Fighter designators start with an 'F', Bombers with a 'B' and SAMs with a 'G'.

I don't know who chose the designator names when the Fagot first came out, or who chooses them now, but in the 80's, the name was often chosen by either the person who first identified it or somebody who worked in the same office.

If you're in East Texas and you can get over to LA, Harleyman, there's a Vulcan at Barksdale AFB.

When the aircraft was retired, a large number went to the States. - They were flown there for the cost of the fuel and a return trip for the crew.

When the SA-14 (I think) was discovered, somebody I knew was told she could name it.

Somebody else (trying to wind her up) said: "Oh, you've missed the boat D*****, it's already been named."

It worked. She went storming into her bosses office to complain. Once he'd calmed her down, he asked her what the missile had been called (SAM designators start with a 'G').

"It's called GONAD". She said.

Well, D*****, I can assure you that's a load of B*ll*cks.

It took her a while to live that one down.

So the Septics are whining about a British company "causing the worst environmental catastrophe ever".

One word

Bhopal.

While Bhopal was a tragedy and some of the victims haven't yet been compensated or justice done what's that to do with the BP oil spill?

Are you someone who thinks that the Gulf states deserve what they're going through because of Bhopal?

Idiot

But do the Gulf states deserve the moratorium on drilling new wells in more than 500ft water depth? For every shrimp fisherman there's another member of the family who will be put out of work by this moratorium. It's not just the rig workers, it's the whole supply chain from factory to truckers that will be put out of work.

If you're in East Texas and you can get over to LA, Harleyman, there's a Vulcan at Barksdale AFB.

When the aircraft was retired, a large number went to the States. - They were flown there for the cost of the fuel and a return trip for the crew.

I think there's a Vulcan at the Boeing Museum. We went on a tour of the Boeing Aircraft plant in Everett Washington last year and the museum is about five miles down the interstate from the plant. Unfortunately the museum was not on the tour itinerary and we all had to board the tour bus for the return trip to Seattle

Next time I'm up that way I'll maybe get a chance to see it

Archived