Why are the Americans and media blaming BP for oil spill?

But it's a BP rig that's gone wrong.

No, the rig is owned by Transocean, a Alabama founded NYSE company. Transocean own it, operate it, staff it and manage it. BP just pay for their services.

Transocean had the rig under a flag of convenience in the Marshall Islands, a popular tax haven. Transocean has its HQ in Switzerland, a popular tax haven. A Norwegian investigation found a "series of unfortunate circumstances" relating to Transocean after one of their ships sank killing the crew.

(Are you getting the picture here?)

Halliburton, a Texas based NYSE company (former CEO Dick Cheney is also a former US Defence Secretary implicated in dodgy Halliburton dealings in Iraq) designed and installed the grouting that failed so spectacularly under Transocean's rig.

(is the picture getting a bit clearer?)

The US Government have maintained standards and working practices that have long since been discarded in most other oil fields.

(clearer still?)

The point being made by various people is that BP might turn out to be a victim in all this, not the villain. Meanwhile they are spending a billion quid trying to put right mistakes that might turn out to be other peoples. It's easier to see this when the US Gvt isn't spoon feeding their particular brand of propaganda to the citizens.

Perhaps those fishermen should also be directing their anger at the US Government regulators who have failed them so miserably?

Time will tell who is to blame.

I've always been curious, but never got round to asking. Are buck and Harleyman now actually accepted as Americans, or are they still British?

They seem to have developed a real dislike of their country of birth. They seem to revel in anything bad that happens to UK, no matter how tenuous the link. Is it like ex-smokers are always the biggest pain? They've certainly taken on the persona of the adopted country.

And yet the real Americans Happy Hoosier, Sierra and Cotton-Top are really nice!

You raise a valid point. Personally I think it's more to do with past choices...for whatever reason.

I don't really think the posters you've mentioned have a problem with Brits having a go at the yanks...It's seen more as an attack on a choice I made a few years back. "How dare anyone attack or question a country I chose to move to...that's just outragous".

I think we're all guilty of protecting the choices we make though.

Anyway...back on topic.

I've always been curious, but never got round to asking. Are buck and Harleyman now actually accepted as Americans, or are they still British?

They seem to have developed a real dislike of their country of birth. They seem to revel in anything bad that happens to UK, no matter how tenuous the link. Is it like ex-smokers are always the biggest pain? They've certainly taken on the persona of the adopted country.

And yet the real Americans Happy Hoosier, Sierra and Cotton-Top are really nice!

I am naturalized American and also as I understand it still British. I served two years national service in the British army, paid my taxes and kept out of troube with the law. A far bettre record than many scumbags who now call themselves British

I dont hate Britain and that was childish to say that. I notice that there is a very large number of SF Members who have a phobia about America and Americans. Much of it pure and uneasoning hatred. I've made a good life for myself here I wont deny that and therefore feel obliged to put in a good word for my adopted country when and if the occasion arises.

I've also put in a good word for Britain when some loudmouth has made an unreasonable and insulting remark about the country. Got arrested by the Navy Shore Patrol in San Diego back in 1970 for brawling with a Brit hating Irishman

:loopy:
the majority of us have a car under 2 litre in britain in the usa a lawn mower has a 5 litre v8. :hihi:
Talk sense for a change. many cars don't exceed 2.4 liters. I run a 1.6 liter straight four for locsl running and a 3.6 liter V6 van so I can carry my seven grandkids around. If you think I'm going to squeeze into a tin box to drive 1200 miles to Florida without A/C think again. This is a big country,.. In any case most of our oil comes from Mexico and Canada, which are both still in North America as far as I know. Maybe you can let me know for sure. I've only been here 43 years.

BP paid 2 billion in tax last year so that's a bit more cash we are going to have to find!
They sowed the wind now reap the whirlwind. The American taxpayer is not to blame either.

I am no way trying to defend BP, I dont give a damn about any multi-national corporation (just cause its called british, doesnt mean it is). I just dont think it is fair that they are having all this value wiped off its shares, plus spending millions (nearly a billion pounds so far) to try and plug this leak.

Correction, BP is not called British and hasn't been for a long time. The name BP doesn't stand for anything any more. When they took over Amoco* they were BP Amoco for a while, but then dropped the Amoco name. However their US operations are still basically Amoco who always had a reputation for wanting to to things fast rather than safely.

* American Oil Co

BP took a lot of risks with this one purely for profit. The result was the loss of 19 lives.

11 lives. I'm amazed it wasn't more.

Ironically there were 7 BP management onboard presenting an award for seven years safe operating of the rig when it exploded.

I served my Country for 18 years in the Royal Navy. I was in Korea during its war, I was at the Suez crisis and many other confrontations. I am very proud of England especially how bravely we fought in the forties. I only defend my adopted country when modern Britons unfairly attack her for whatever reason, though I suspect it is usually jealousy of the pwer and influence you once enjoyed and no more. I am an American citizen of many years standing. The country has been good to me and for me. Nobody looks down on me because I wasn't educated t Eton or Oxford or because I talk with a Yorkshire accent. people genuinely like to hear me speak, especially the ladies, so I'm a chick magnet:) Rubydazzler, you and I have had some arguments in the past. You never had a good word to say about us, so don't blame us if we retaliate:)

No, the rig is owned by Transocean, a Alabama founded NYSE company. Transocean own it, operate it, staff it and manage it. BP just pay for their services.

Transocean had the rig under a flag of convenience in the Marshall Islands, a popular tax haven. Transocean has its HQ in Switzerland, a popular tax haven. A Norwegian investigation found a "series of unfortunate circumstances" relating to Transocean after one of their ships sank killing the crew.

(Are you getting the picture here?)

Halliburton, a Texas based NYSE company (former CEO Dick Cheney is also a former US Defence Secretary implicated in dodgy Halliburton dealings in Iraq) designed and installed the grouting that failed so spectacularly under Transocean's rig.

(is the picture getting a bit clearer?)

The US Government have maintained standards and working practices that have long since been discarded in most other oil fields.

(clearer still?)

The point being made by various people is that BP might turn out to be a victim in all this, not the villain. Meanwhile they are spending a billion quid trying to put right mistakes that might turn out to be other peoples. It's easier to see this when the US Gvt isn't spoon feeding their particular brand of propaganda to the citizens.

Perhaps those fishermen should also be directing their anger at the US Government regulators who have failed them so miserably?

Time will tell who is to blame.

The people on the Gulf Coast are directing their anger at the US government for what they perceive is not enough action in dealing with the problem

One newscaster even suggested that this could be "Obama's Katrina"

The fact is however that apart from being able to supply National Guard and Coast Guard personnel to try and contain the spill and doctors to treat those who are sicjk from being exposed to the pollution the onus is on BP to get the leak brought to a stop and so far they have failed miserably. Whose to blame is of secondary importance at this stage

Archived