Why are the Americans and media blaming BP for oil spill?

That's weird because I don't remember posting anything of the kind, and certainly never mentioned "divine retribution" - that's just weird.

So why do you mention Bhopal, compare the number of casualties to that of the BP spill and the obvious fact that Union Carbide, an American company treated the victims abominably.

What was your message or intent of suggestion? :huh:

You mean there aren't any parallels?

The parallels being that multinationals will neglect safety considerations in the quest for profits without tough regulations to keep them in check?

Not sure how any of this is an exoneration for the dishonesty and behaviour of BP.

The parallels being that multinationals will neglect safety considerations in the quest for profits without tough regulations to keep them in check?

Not sure how any of this is an exoneration for the dishonesty and behaviour of BP.

For once I agree with you. The big oil companies will reduce costs to what they can get away with under the regulations of the country they are working in. They will also look at the wider picture and how it affects their share price.

BP share price is less than half of what it was before the blowout and there are rumours they will be bought out by either a large Chinese company or a large US company,

Yup, Parallels and disparities.

Bhopal is popping up a lot in the discussion about Deepwater Horizon. This from Time Magazine:

Indians point at the way the U.S. government is now confronting BP - holding it squarely responsible for the oil spill and accountable for all cleanup costs - as a stark contrast to the way their own government has dealt with Union Carbide. The hope in India is that U.S. courts will be more amenable to the requests of Bhopal's victims now that America has a huge environmental disaster in its own backyard.

and the FT on corporate hatred

But I don’t remember us all hating Union Carbide with quite the same vindictive intensity with which we now hate BP … You could say this was because Bhopal happened 25 years ago on the other side of the world and Union Carbide doesn’t sell products that slosh about in the tank of your car. But I think there’s something else going on too: hating companies and the people who lead them has become a new global pastime.

and Reuters

The first convictions in the disaster came this month, a quarter century late, partly due to India's slow-moving justice system. The verdict -- 2 years jail and small fines for Union Carbide's seven Indian employees -- has sparked outrage in India.

Activists of Bhopal Group for Information and Action (BGIA) said on Thursday while BP Plc was made to set up a damage claims fund within two months of the oil spill, victims of the Bhopal disaster have had no "real justice".

"You (Obama) hold the corporate accountable in your country but why is it that you are not holding American companies responsible for what they do abroad?" BGIA's Rachna Dhingra said.

"If this is not double standards, what is?" she told Reuters.

Activists have called on the Obama administration to ensure more compensation for the victims and cleanup of the Bhopal site.

Dow Chemical, which owns Union Carbide, denies any responsibility saying it bought the company a decade after Union Carbide had settled its liabilities with the Indian government in 1989 by paying $470 million for the victims.

Bhopal is popping up a lot in the discussion about Deepwater Horizon. This from Time Magazine:

But I don’t remember us all hating Union Carbide with quite the same vindictive intensity with which we now hate BP......

and Reuters

I would see this as progress.

I certainly remember my reaction to the Bhopal incident and it is consistent with my reaction to this one.

I still think as I did then that Bhopal deserved convictions for corporate manslaughter. Warren Anderson should be arrested and made to stand trial in India.

What I don't get is why the Republicans aren;t getting more bad press.

Palin, for example:

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin ® lashed out at White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel on Twitter earlier this week, telling him “u lie” for saying that many Republicans agree with Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) that the White House shook down BP to create a $20 billion escrow fund to help Gulf families. Of course, Barton’s sentiment is not unique among conservatives, as Palin herself proved today. Taking to Twitter once again, Palin urged, “GOP: Don’t let the lamestream media suck you into ‘they’re defending BP over Gulf spill victims’ bs…” She followed up by urging her followers to “read Thomas Sowell’s article,” which compares President Obama to Hitler

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/06/25/palin-sowell-hitler/

But I don’t remember us all hating Union Carbide with quite the same vindictive intensity with which we now hate BP

and Reuters

A better example than Bhopal for your purposes would be the the damage done to Nigeria through oil spills.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/may/30/oil-spills-nigeria-niger-delta-shell

I think the progressive response to that point is to call for the oil companies to be held to account in Nigeria the same as they are in the US.

Archived