Why are the Americans and media blaming BP for oil spill?

I've always been curious, but never got round to asking. Are buck and Harleyman now actually accepted as Americans, or are they still British?

They seem to have developed a real dislike of their country of birth. They seem to revel in anything bad that happens to UK, no matter how tenuous the link. Is it like ex-smokers are always the biggest pain? They've certainly taken on the persona of the adopted country.

And yet the real Americans Happy Hoosier, Sierra and Cotton-Top are really nice!

Hi ruby,

Yes, Harleyman and buck (and others like them) are accepted as Americans. It may seem odd to someone from somewhere else but they are actually regarded as better Americans by those of us who are native-born, because they chose to become one of us. Ya gotta love someone who thinks so highly of you and yours that they leave everything they've ever known behind them to start a new life with you.

As for being abrasive? Well, I imagine gender, age, and personality are responsible for some of it. But that same restlessness and drive to do something different with their lives is what led them to leave England in the first place. Being abrasive is not altogether a bad quality over here. Yup, really. What some might call abrasive we'd call rough around the edges or the no nonsense type. Basically, the type of person who pulls no punches and you know exactly where you stand with them at all times because they tell you! That's much appreciated here because who has time to mess around, just say what's on your mind! It's all or nothing for them. If they do something, they give it all they've got. They get things done, and if you need help, they're right there.

Most of the time, their energy and enthusiasm makes us natives look bad, but we love them anyway. :) They remind us of what is still good about America, and of what can be accomplished by those brave and motivated enough to get up off the backsides.

And I think you are lovely as well. *smooch* :)

Thats because you drive little cracker boxes and only drive as far as the supermarket or pub and back

As for lawn mowers having a V8 mine only has a Briggs and Stratton 60 HP. It is self propelled however so it probably uses .03 of a litre of petrol extra than a manual push type.

Shame on us ! :D

60HP! My mower has 5hp. I used to have a car with 60bhp, what are you mowing wire?

60HP! My mower has 5hp. I used to have a car with 60bhp, what are you mowing wire?

I missed the decimal point. Please read as 6.0 HP. I dont use it any more though as we now have a gardener to come and take care of the lawn and the flower beds.

Not getting lazy but the missus and I paid our dues working to build something for ourselves and the kids so now it's time to cast such chores aside and devote our time and energies to more interesting and enjoyable things :thumbsup:

hehehehe! You know me too well, by now, boyf. It's the story of my life! I've never been able to suffer fools gladly. Or should that be b*llsh*tters? ;)

I've got me tin hat on o'er here lass...sock it to em :thumbsup:

meh, so she's right then, you Americans don't really want us except when we're sending our lads out to get killed fighting your battles for you? Your Government is the one that's always going on about the 'special relationship' but only when you want something. When it's time for the quid pro quo, suddenly we're no more special than anyone else? And you say we have it in for the Yanks? It seems rather vice-versa in your mind.

Did you not bother to look at poppins post, which was the post I was answering?

When I baited the hook, I never expected such a comprehensive endorsement of what I was thinking about it. :) I don't think you're a typical American though, you've got too much of a chip on your shoulder. Maybe secretly you've never felt really accepted in your adopted country? :)

I had a chip on my shoulder when I grew up in England. I hated the class system, the fawning to royalty and the aristocracy who seemed to me to be a bunch of useless hangers on who got their ill gotten gains by robbing the lower classses in days of old. I didnt like the educational system whereby if you failed the 11 plus you were condemned to be cast out of school at 15 to work in factories or jobs with no future. When I told my wife and kids that at the age of 11 our whole futures depended on passing or failing an examination they could hardly believe it.

That doesn't mean to say that there weren't happy times. I always will have an attachment to Sheffield and Yorkshire people are the best in Britain as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being accepted. I had no problem with that when I arrived in the USA from Canada where there was no work in winters. People actually liked my accent and didn't judge me for "provincial working class" like in England.

I signed up in the Marines did my time which included a war and came out an NCO. Had I stayed in I could have gone on to earn college degrees and eventually become an officer without having to speak like an Old Etonian.

I worked in construction started my own business got married and raised two kids. Made a good life for myself. I've sometimes wondered what my life would have been if I hadn't done this. Maybe living in a council flat and exisitng on UK welfare in my dotage.

meh, so she's right then, you Americans don't really want us except when we're sending our lads out to get killed fighting your battles for you? Your Government is the one that's always going on about the 'special relationship' but only when you want something. When it's time for the quid pro quo, suddenly we're no more special than anyone else? And you say we have it in for the Yanks? It seems rather vice-versa in your mind.

Did you not bother to look at poppins post, which was the post I was answering?

When I baited the hook, I never expected such a comprehensive endorsement of what I was thinking about it. :) I don't think you're a typical American though, you've got too much of a chip on your shoulder. Maybe secretly you've never felt really accepted in your adopted country? :)

You don't know me at all. I'm actually a very happy person. I have a lovely Irish wife, three great sons, and lovely grandkids. We are very active in our community, and have many friends, some of them British. We visit Ireland which I love every year and stay with family in Shannon. I love to argue, its the stuff of life. I don't know you either, so if I was to call you some frustrated wicked witch, you'd be insulted too. Let it be, you'll always have something against emigrants, maybe you have a problem with immigrants too. We can't all stay home to try to save the Empah, we have other work to do.:)

I had a chip on my shoulder when I grew up in England. I hated the class system, the fawning to royalty and the aristocracy who seemed to me to be a bunch of useless hangers on who got their ill gotten gains by robbing the lower classses in days of old. I didnt like the educational system whereby if you failed the 11 plus you were condemned to be cast out of school at 15 to work in factories or jobs with no future. When I told my wife and kids that at the age of 11 our whole futures depended on passing or failing an examination they could hardly believe it.

That doesn't mean to say that there weren't happy times. I always will have an attachment to Sheffield and Yorkshire people are the best in Britain as far as I'm concerned.

As far as being accepted. I had no problem with that when I arrived in the USA from Canada where there was no work in winters. People actually liked my accent and didn't judge me for "provincial working class" like in England.

I signed up in the Marines did my time which included a war and came out an NCO. Had I stayed in I could have gone on to earn college degrees and eventually become an officer without having to speak like an Old Etonian.

I worked in construction started my own business got married and raised two kids. Made a good life for myself. I've sometimes wondered what my life would have been if I hadn't done this. Maybe living in a council flat and exisitng on UK welfare in my dotage.

Thanks Harley, you said it all. That snobbery! I took our two American sons to UK in 1983, and we could see we weren't welcome in restaurants, noses were up so high,I don't think they could see ahead. They say its changed, but it all still looks to be the same. Some of the Brit visiotors are plagued with iy, but not all Thank goodness.

Thanks Harley, you said it all. That snobbery! I took our two American sons to UK in 1983, and we could see we weren't welcome in restaurants, noses were up so high,I don't think they could see ahead. They say its changed, but it all still looks to be the same. Some of the Brit visiotors are plagued with iy, but not all Thank goodness.

I warned my wife before I took her on the first trip to England that the people were reserved. She didn't listen and went out shopping on her own the second day Came back looking all surprised.

"I said good morning to a couple of people while walking down the street and they just looked at me as If I came from another planet or maybe the man I spoke to thought I was trying to pick him up or something"

I told her "Save your good mornings and have a nice day" for when we get back to california :hihi:

Archived