Sinkhole opens up in Guatemala City

BBC NEWS24 have reported at 8.30pm tonight that NO ONE was hurt in this incident.
Sorry, I was flipping about looking at both sinkholes in Guatemala City and must have got confused, two teenagers and their father died in the 2007 one.

here>>> http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/06/photogalleries/100601-sinkhole-in-guatemala-2010-pictures-world/#guatemala-city-sinkhole-2007-file-photo_21123_600x450.jpg

If you click on the pix, you see different views of the two sinkholes. They're still the scariest thing, even if no-one died in the latest one. They don't even look real.

So glad I don't live there.

When I was a kid I had nightmares about being swallowed up by a sudden hole in the ground, I'm so glad I didn't know back then that it did really happen to people. :o
*hugs* purdy and trembles.

Dogs, reading the articles on sinkholes, it says there's often huge subterranean caves underneath, maybe that's why it looks so dark and weird at the bottom, there could be a massive chamber down there. Full of wondrous things! muhahahahaha!

your right ruby . they looks like there is no bottom to the hole ,and its just space.

Reminds me of those holes that kept appearing on The Prisoner, but on a much larger scale. It is so huge it will probably give me nightmares. It is a wonder no one died. Have they figured out how deep it is yet? And how the heck are they going to fix something like that?

Reminds me of those holes that kept appearing on The Prisoner, but on a much larger scale. It is so huge it will probably give me nightmares. It is a wonder no one died. Have they figured out how deep it is yet? And how the heck are they going to fix something like that?

As opposed to filling it in, i would suspect that they will just 'cap' the top like they do with some old mine shafts.

Just cap it off and leave it? eeeek!

I've confused myself by all my sinkhole browsing last night but did I read it was 300m deep? That's deeeeeep! If I lived there, I'd have to leave. I'd drive myself insane imagining living on a thin crust of rock and soil and giant subterranean caverns all underneath the place, liable to collapse in on themselves at any time.

I think I could cope with a giant crater, it's the roundness of it that makes it so scary.

Just cap it off and leave it? eeeek!

I've confused myself by all my sinkhole browsing last night but did I read it was 300m deep? That's deeeeeep! If I lived there, I'd have to leave. I'd drive myself insane imagining living on a thin crust of rock and soil and giant subterranean caverns all underneath the place, liable to collapse in on themselves at any time.

I think I could cope with a giant crater, it's the roundness of it that makes it so scary.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Ruby but all our planet is basically just a thin layer of crust over.... well.... nothing at all really.

Years ago, i used to go pot holing and some of the natural caverns under our own countryside are utterly spectacular... recently, a 'new' cavern was discovered in Castleton.. Named Titan, Titan is estimated to be about 459ft (140m) from floor to ceiling - as high as the London Eye and we must remember that this is only a 'discovered' and accessible cavern.... Who knows whats (or whats not - as the case may be) under your very feet right now. :D

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Ruby but all our planet is basically just a thin layer of crust over.... well.... nothing at all really. [snippage].... Who knows whats (or whats not - as the case may be) under your very feet right now. :D
You total git! If I hated you before, I hate you even more now! If I have another nightmare tonight, it'll totally be your fault. :help:

We've never had a natural sinkhole round here within living memory, though. I think we're safe enough :hihi:

We've had the occasional sink hole here, usually under a road but nothing spectacular like the one in Guatemala City. Maybe 10 feet deep? Swallowed up a car but the driver wasn't injured. There was one in a city about and hour and a half away that threatened to devour a restaurant. Still, nothing on the scale we're talking about in the OP.

Don't think on it too hard, Ruby. I imagine I have a better chance of being struck by a bus than swallowed by a sink hole. Too many other things to worry about than something I can't control.

Archived