Young teen age girls getting contraceptives without parents' knowledge

Because if they (the child) knew that the GP would tell their parents (advise them of the childs intentions), and clearly hadn't intended to do that themselves (the child hadn't intended to tell their parents) then they (the child) obviously wouldn't go to the GP.

I've added extra words as you clearly didn't understand my previous post.

Either that or you don't think a 12 year old is smart enough to think it through.

We're talking about any post pubertal underage average intelligence girl who is plenty old enough to conceive.

We have heard a lot about what you DON'T want to happen, but precious little of what you DO want to happen and what you think SHOULD happen in the imperfect world of teenagers who have their own minds about what should be happening.

Didn't you see, he's too upset to post clear answers about what should happen or about how the changes he proposes would actually work.

Because if they knew that the GP would tell their parents, and clearly hadn't intended to do that themselves then they obviously wouldn't go to the GP.

Just out of interest. How would you deal with your twelve year old daughter if she came home with a contraceptive implant in her arm (hypotheticaly)?

Because if they (the child) knew that the GP would tell their parents (advise them of the childs intentions), and clearly hadn't intended to do that themselves (the child hadn't intended to tell their parents) then they (the child) obviously wouldn't go to the GP.

I've added extra words as you clearly didn't understand my previous post.

Either that or you don't think a 12 year old is smart enough to think it through.

Thats right. There was no need for the extra words.

It's ok, it seems that you and cyclone think that it is fine for a twelve year old girl to be having sex. I don't agree, but I don't wish to argue with your views.

Maybe you can point out where either of us said that.

I'll save you some time looking, you can't, we didn't say it.

You can apologise in your next post, although I won't expect you to, you're not a big enough man to retract your deliberately misleading statements.

You're also either more stupid than I previously gave you credit for, or deliberately pretending to not understand the argument that several posters have clearly explained to you regarding the decision to have sex being in the hand of the hypothetical adolescent. The only decision in the hands of the state and/or GP are whether to provide contraception or not in a confidential manner.

Not providing it will not stop 12 year olds having sex if they wish, despite us all thinking that it is wrong.

Removing confidentiality from the service will in effect stop adolescents using the service and is practically the same as choosing not to provide contraception.

Is there any part of this that you don't understand? Are there specific points that you don't agree with?

Thats right. There was no need for the extra words.

Maybe you were just a very stupid 12 year old. My experience must be different to yours, the majority of 12 year olds are more than capable of understanding the difference between a confidential service and one that is not and deciding not to use it if their parents will be informed.

Just out of interest. How would you deal with your twelve year old daughter if she came home with a contraceptive implant in her arm (hypotheticaly)?

Talking I expect. Although obviously sex would have been talked about before.

I certainly wouldn't be too upset to post my real feelings as you claimed. Getting in that state doesn't help anyone and certainly won't help the communication between yourself and your daughter.

Of course at 14 you must still think she's nearly as stupid as a 12 year old and barely capable of foreseeing the consequences of obvious things. It's a wonder she's managed to convince a GP she was competent enough to consent to the procedure, or that she thought far enough ahead to want it.

Maybe you were just a very stupid 12 year old. My experience must be different to yours, the majority of 12 year olds are more than capable of understanding the difference between a confidential service and one that is not and deciding not to use it if their parents will be informed.

Answer my question about how you would react. Don't go running off to Medusa either. Her and I were having a level headed discussion.

Talking I expect. Although obviously sex would have been talked about before.

I certainly wouldn't be too upset to post my real feelings as you claimed. Getting in that state doesn't help anyone and certainly won't help the communication between yourself and your daughter.

Of course at 14 you must still think she's nearly as stupid as a 12 year old and barely capable of foreseeing the consequences of obvious things. It's a wonder she's managed to convince a GP she was competent enough to consent to the procedure, or that she thought far enough ahead to want it.

Wrong. try again.

I think you're underestimating your daughter. I'm a 25-year-old female and growing up, not once did I speak to my parents (especially my dad!) about any of the changes to my body, or ask advice about sexual health/contraception and I turned out fine. No STDs, no babies, no issues.

I think it very much does depend on the parents' relationship with the children, kids are ridiculously perceptive in gauging reactions - if she'd told you before getting the implant, would you have discouraged her? Or flat-out said no? Probably, and she knew it! She obviously has her reasons for not to telling you, be it embarrassment, fear, or just not wanting to share such a personal matter with you. Are you more upset that the GP didn't consult you, or that your daughter didn't? Because to me, it sounds like the latter...

Archived