Young teen age girls getting contraceptives without parents' knowledge

Hi missflirtuk. Thanks for your post. A clear example of how this treatment does have some nasty side effects for some people.

Makes me shudder to think that it can be given to children.

There's probably not a treatement out there that doesn't have nasty side effects for some people and it's not as it can't be removed if there are problems. To my mind it would be better for your daughter to have an implant than to come home and tell you that you are about to become a grandfather due to some fleeting liason?

There's probably not a treatement out there that doesn't have nasty side effects for some people and it's not as it can't be removed if there are problems. To my mind it would be better for your daughter to have an implant than to come home and tell you that you are about to become a grandfather due to some fleeting liason?

I see. So. Insert the implant first, deal with the problems later ???

I know JFK'. I do respect your previous posts. ;)

This isn't my position, it's the position of the GMC, NICE and it's also the position of the law courts. You have to accept this when you post. I think you need to trust these institutions a little bit. No GP would prescribe a contraceptive drug to someone under 16 if they didn't think it was appropriate, and without making sure that they understood and were able to make judgement on any of the side-effects.

Damned if I do, Damned if I don't!!

I have made it clear that I have talked to my daughter, as many poster's have advised. Seems that this is now not enough!.

I'm trying to point out to you that there are teens all over the world who hear advice and do exactly the opposite, often deliberately.

Your scenario about how to deal with underage sex is not facing the real world issue that underage sex exists and just talking to the girls who are seeking contraception will not stop many of them from having sex underage, no matter how well meaning your discussion may be.

You have stated that you don't believe that contraception should be given to girls in this scenario- I am asking what you WOULD do, not just what you WOULDN'T do.

A certain proportion of the girls who have decided that they're going to have sex and who have been mature enough to seek medical help for contraception already will ignore 'the chat' and do it anyway. What then?

I know that as a parent you are thinking about this in one way, but I'm trying to get you to think as a pragmatist in a hypothetical situation. Wouldn't you rather the ones who were going to have sex anyway did so with contraception than without (and thereby reducing the risks of pregnancy, abortion and STIs)?

I'm not criticising you for talking to your daughter, I'm trying to get you to see that once your child has a mind of her own she can do all sorts of things just because she decides and sometimes it will have nothing to do with you or whether you've talked to her.

Ok, your now talking to a 14 year old girl, who does have extreme period pain.

Look, 14 can be an age where a girl knows what she needs to do, Do you really think your daughter would have a pimp? is she REALLY that type of person?

This thread has made me think, I may do the exact same thing as shes doing, I would LOVE to relive myself of the stuburn burden known as a 'period pain'.

Indeed, I am Not sexual active, I dont know many 14 year old girls that are, But I would'nt get an implant at this age for contreceptive purposes, But i would deffiently have an implant fitted to relive pain.

I question the amount of trust you put in your daughter, Yo should trust her, The only time you should remove this trust is if she breaks it, in which case she must earn it back gradually.

Ok, your now talking to a 14 year old girl, who does have extreme period pain.

Look, 14 can be an age where a girl knows what she needs to do, Do you really think your daughter would have a pimp? is she REALLY that type of person?

This thread has made me think, I may do the exact same thing as shes doing, I would LOVE to relive myself of the stuburn burden known as a 'period pain'.

Indeed, I am Not sexual active, I dont know many 14 year old girls that are, But I would'nt get an implant at this age for contreceptive purposes, But i would deffiently have an implant fitted to relive pain.

I question the amount of trust you put in your daughter, Yo should trust her, The only time you should remove this trust is if she breaks it, in which case she must earn it back gradually.

You seem to be getting my point. :)

I'm trying to point out to you that there are teens all over the world who hear advice and do exactly the opposite, often deliberately.

Your scenario about how to deal with underage sex is not facing the real world issue that underage sex exists and just talking to the girls who are seeking contraception will not stop many of them from having sex underage, no matter how well meaning your discussion may be.

You have stated that you don't believe that contraception should be given to girls in this scenario- I am asking what you WOULD do, not just what you WOULDN'T do.

A certain proportion of the girls who have decided that they're going to have sex and who have been mature enough to seek medical help for contraception already will ignore 'the chat' and do it anyway. What then?

I know that as a parent you are thinking about this in one way, but I'm trying to get you to think as a pragmatist in a hypothetical situation. Wouldn't you rather the ones who were going to have sex anyway did so with contraception than without (and thereby reducing the risks of pregnancy, abortion and STIs)?

I'm not criticising you for talking to your daughter, I'm trying to get you to see that once your child has a mind of her own she can do all sorts of things just because she decides and sometimes it will have nothing to do with you or whether you've talked to her.

I understand what you are saying, but I am a parent.

I am trying to make the pragmatist think as a parent.

An impossible task, I concede.

The fact is that no one knows how they will react to this sort of situation until they are faced with it.

I thought I was prepared until it happened. Do you understand where I am coming from?

Somewhat. However, I do severely dislike it when my parents do NOT believe me.

well, Parent.

anyway, I also really do think your daughters intentions are good.

You must place your trust with her unless you know for deffinate otherwise.

Archived