Young teen age girls getting contraceptives without parents' knowledge

OK needsleep I see your point but isn't that the same as saying my insurance ran out at midnight and I was going to the brokers to renew it when I had the accident officer. And now the lady is in the wheelchair for the rest of her life and I wasn't insured "Just for a little while"

more to the point I was scared of my parents ever finding out if I had. .

personaly would rather my girls wern't scared of me and felt they could turn to me when they need support and advice, which is what has happened so far my girls are 21 19 and 9 and im proud of them all, and they all know if they mess up they can tell me and ill help them where i can and they wont get into trouble with me unless they lie and hide things from me, so far none of my girls have hidden anything and have been honest with me so my method seems to be working

Guest sibon
Which is where the parental role steps in. However, no amount of education will prevent them from having underage consensual sex, if they want to, what it can do is teach them how to behave responsibly. I'd be equally as unhappy and upset about it too, however, if I started preaching about celibacy you can guarantee they would be even more likely to go ahead and have sex. Teens love nothing more than to rebel, I know, I was one once.

Me too. Which is the reason that I chose the word "education", rather than "preach" :)

Education can teach kids to avoid succumbing to peer pressure. That is a start. Of course they will always rebel, but hopefully in a way that benefits them. Rebellion can take many forms, underage sex is only one of them.

The OPs best hope is to communicate effectively with his daughter and guide her as best he can. Not an easy task, given the complicated nature of womanhood:D

OK needsleep I see your point but isn't that the same as saying my insurance ran out at midnight and I was going to the brokers to renew it when I had the accident officer. And now the lady is in the wheelchair for the rest of her life and I wasn't insured "Just for a little while"

well no its nothing like it as again its never right to drive without insurance or hit some but for the majority of life sex is right and theres nothing wrong in it

I would like to think my kids were not scared of me while they were growing up and like yourself we seem to have made a good job of it. However I could never have condoned or acknowledged them breaking the law and they knew that.

I would like to think my kids were not scared of me while they were growing up and like yourself we seem to have made a good job of it. However I could never have condoned or acknowledged them breaking the law and they knew that.

But taking hormonal contraceptives isn't breaking the law.

Me too. Which is the reason that I chose the word "education", rather than "preach" :)

Education can teach kids to avoid succumbing to peer pressure. That is a start. Of course they will always rebel, but hopefully in a way that benefits them. Rebellion can take many forms, underage sex is only one of them.

The OPs best hope is to communicate effectively with his daughter and guide her as best he can. Not an easy task, given the complicated nature of womanhood:D

I agree, it has to be handled very sensitively so as not to come across as preachy. I have endeavoured to create an open atmosphere where these matters are discussed without any embarrassment. Hopefully that will foster a sense of trust when I have to deal with all of this. The peer pressure aspect is the most worrying. Confidence is the key here and again, that's our role as parents.

I am that daughter of Gaymers actually. I am 18, very nearly 19 now and just started my second implant. It's done me a world of good. I originally got it for my periods, the pain was unbearable and I wanted to help it. I couldn't take the pill due to the fact I needed antibiotics a lot sue to my immune system. Then I got into a serious relationship which is nearly 3 years running now and it has been of great use.

I'm proud of your daughter for being sensible and doing something that will provide her with protection for when she does want to start in a sexual relationship. And also for doing something that may be helping her periods if that is the case.

Most people have sex underage these days. I don't know many people who haven't. You can't pretend it's not happening.

Tbh, this all seems to be about you and not about your daughter. As I said, I am very proud of her for taking the step to do something sensible.

My bold

Ain't that the truth!!!

In one breath, the OP is claiming that his main concern is about the risk of side-effects for somebody as young as his daughter. Then he's banging on about how it's illegal for under 16s to have sex and claims that anybody who's realistic enough to accept that under-age girls will have sex are condoning, if not encouraging, them to indulge. And that it follows that such pragmatists will necessarily have to support the breaking of any law, by anybody, because they can't get themselves inflamed to the point of hysteria about a 14 or 15 year old year having sex.

Oh, and not forgetting the fact that he's a concerned parent and therefore obviously has to be excused from joined up thinking, because he's so upset. And then having a hissy fit when people disagree with him, and telling them they can't possibly understand, because they're not in the middle of an attack of the vapours because their daughter is growing up!

I don't think that I'd come at it from the legal perspective, in terms of discussing the whole issue of underage sex with my kids. That sounds too much like a lecture to me.

Archived