Help, my bank has frozen my account!

last week my husband recived his wage, i transfered a large sum of money to my savings account for safe keeping as we are moving into our new home at the weekend and the funds were for the bond and 1 months rent upfront,

however, i checked my online banking and the account has gone!, ive tried to draw money from my card and it says contact your bank! but the account is in my husbands name so i cant sort it, he has to and he is at work!

im just sat here bitting my nails and can feel a panic attack coming along, that money was all the money we have left for a whole month,

does anyone know why a bank would freeze an account or has your account been frozen before, im so worried i havent slept all night!

There are lots of reasons why the bank may have done this, one maybe because they suspect some fraudulent activity. You say you transfered a large sum to a different account. It might be they think someone is trying to withdraw the rest.

As long as you know that you've done nothing wrong it should all getsorted with a phone call. I'd also advise that you get a proper joint account set up so you both have accessand are able to deal with problems etc like this.

Yes.

If it was someone fraudulently withdrawing money you wouldn't want them to give a warning, you'd want them to freeze the account.

The only way they could possibly just take money from you was if you had defaulted on loan / mortgage payments, over draft interest etc, and they were late payment fees + the missed payments.

Don't panic. Likely to be completely innocent or a simple mix up. Most banks have call centres that operate after normal banking hours. Should be able to sort it when your husband gets home.

my husband has just phoned the online banking customer services from work, they said they have recieved a message from the branch and thats all they can tell him, he has to wait untill the branch is opened at 9.30 and ring them directly. :confused:

now im really worried!

I'm assuming that it is not normal practice for £1,000 to disappear from your husband's account in one fell swoop? ...in which case, the branch probably just wants to confirm that it was a genuine transfer which he knew about.

The other most likely explanation is that it's a ****-up. They do happen.

Don't worry, some transactions have to be authorised by a higher authority. I once stuck £100,000 in, just to hold it, then when I tried to get it out it '' had to be authorised by ..............''.

I had a word, as they say, and matter sorted.

I came across a situation where it took a whole week to get the desired funds transfered from an another bank account. If you had ZERO in your account, then chances are that the funds are waiting for clearance.

In short, give them a call anytime you get a "panic attack" and get a confirmation. Things will get sorted out if you haven't done anything wrong.

Regards,

Archived