David Cameron to place minimum price on booze!

It's worth noting that we already have minimum pricing.

And that minimum pricing has increased above inflation every year for at least a decade.

Same with ciggies.

Hence it's cheaper to buy on the black market. Hell, it's got to a point now where you often get better quality goods on the black market.

And the media keeps spouting the, watch out for the dodgy vodka and cigs stories, preaching about safety and ill health.

Yet your nan get's prescribed rat poison from the doctors.

The amount of duty on a bottle of vodka should warrant the queen/pm to wipe your bottom personally the day after you have drunk it.

Increasing the base price of alcohol will drive up the price of all alcohol, which means that it penalises everyone, not just those who drink too much cheap alcohol (or indeed those that only drink a moderate amount of cheap alcohol).

No, it benefits supermarkets (if it is a minimum price - rather than duty increase). It also benefits smugglers & the black market in general. People who retail alcohol will benefit from a minimum price, it's legalised price fixing, it'd remove some competition. That's why Tesco were so strongly in support of it.

You can't really penalise everyone, there are usually some winners & losers.

• 2 months later...

It seems this policy has made a comeback

Minimum booze price - BBC

I think it's a decent idea. While it won't stop hardened drinkers I wonder how many people have fallen onto the slippery road to alcohol dependence off the back of the cheap supermarket multi-buy deals we've seen for the past few years.

If the three boxes of beer for £20 deals are legally forced up to £30-35 then I think it'll lead to a big drop in that type of purchasing by consumers. Probably too late for many people who have got hooked sadly.

Is it not a policy that is about getting poor people out of pubs, and creating more space for people who have lots of money?

Maybe, if you were very cynical.

To me it looks like a genuine attempt to influence consumer behaviour for the better.

There will be unintended consequences though - cheap supermarket spirits might not change much in price. It could be that per unit of alcohol they cost less than the multi-buy beer deals. People who have got drawn into problem drinking off cheap beer and cider might just switch to cheap supermarket vodka or gin instead. The policy probably needs to be more than just a blanket price per unit.

Another tax on the poor. Greedy supermarket giants have been crying out for this for ages. Every little helps when you're lining your friends' pockets at the expense of the poor.

If Labour had have done this, the Tories would have been bleating "nanny state" and "healthy competition". Funny how these Tory excuses are only rolled out when it suits them and their friends.

What a truly loathesome lot. Lib Dems where are you? What the hell are you doing about this bunch of lowlifes? You're allowing your power-tripping leader to sell you down the Swannee.

Maybe, if you were very cynical.

To me it looks like a genuine attempt to influence consumer behaviour for the better.

There will be unintended consequences though - cheap supermarket spirits might not change much in price. It could be that per unit of alcohol they cost less than the multi-buy beer deals. People who have got drawn into problem drinking off cheap beer and cider might just switch to cheap supermarket vodka or gin instead. The policy probably needs to be more than just a blanket price per unit.

So how will it change the behavior of someone who earns £200k per annum?

It clearly affects someone on the minumum wage

Another tax on the poor. Greedy supermarket giants have been crying out for this for ages. Every little helps when you're lining your friends' pockets at the expense of the poor.

I'm sorry,you've lost me there..if supermarkets wanted to charge more for booze then they've had the opportunity..why do you reckon they'll be happy now? Don't they use less than cost price booze to get people into the shops?

Archived